Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Magnolia Query

Hi,
We have a fairly young magnolia tree in our front garden planted just over 2
years ago which appears healthy and has grown to around 4 feet. When we
planted it there were three tulip shaped flowers on it and the following
year there were fourteen. My problem is that this year it seems it will not
flower at all and it has gone straight to sprouting leaves which I think
previously it did after flowering. I just wonder if there's a problem with
the tree or is it down to position or weather conditions that have caused
this. I live in the south of England so weather conditions slightly better
than up North! I would appreciate any advice given.

Regards

Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Harry D" wrote in message
Hi,
We have a fairly young magnolia tree in our front garden planted just over
2 years ago which appears healthy and has grown to around 4 feet. When we
planted it there were three tulip shaped flowers on it and the following
year there were fourteen. My problem is that this year it seems it will
not flower at all and it has gone straight to sprouting leaves which I
think previously it did after flowering. I just wonder if there's a
problem with the tree or is it down to position or weather conditions that
have caused this. I live in the south of England so weather conditions
slightly better than up North! I would appreciate any advice given.

Regards

H ... I have commented on here that in my opinion, Magnolias have not done
so well this year. Pretty and some blossom but nowhere near as good as I
have seen before. My daughter and son in law have a massive one, actually
it's three together which form one big tree, is sparse this year. One round
the corner to me at home is usually fantastic, this year? Poor

This is only an observation from a non gardener, but my wife with over 50
years gardening experience has the same opinion.

So? Don't worry :-))

Mike
In the South East part of the Isle of Wight where the sun is still shining.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

"Harry D" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that, it's good to hear it may be just a bad year!

Harry

Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/04/2012 18:50, Harry D wrote:
Hi,
We have a fairly young magnolia tree in our front garden planted just over 2
years ago which appears healthy and has grown to around 4 feet. When we
planted it there were three tulip shaped flowers on it and the following
year there were fourteen. My problem is that this year it seems it will not
flower at all and it has gone straight to sprouting leaves which I think
previously it did after flowering. I just wonder if there's a problem with
the tree or is it down to position or weather conditions that have caused
this. I live in the south of England so weather conditions slightly better
than up North! I would appreciate any advice given.

Regards

Some magnolias seems to have good and bad tears. We have a liliflora
nigra which varies from year to year. Last year was very good, but this
year not so good. In contrast, some soulangiana, 'Susan', and
particularly stellata seems in other people's gardens seem smothered in
blooms this year.

I believe that magnolias start to form the flower buds for next year's
flowers around July. In that case, if you give the plant some extra
potassium (tomato fertiliser should do) in June and July you may get
more flowers next year.

--

Jeff
Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/04/2012 18:50, Harry D wrote:
Hi,
We have a fairly young magnolia tree in our front garden planted just over 2
years ago which appears healthy and has grown to around 4 feet. When we
planted it there were three tulip shaped flowers on it and the following
year there were fourteen. My problem is that this year it seems it will not
flower at all and it has gone straight to sprouting leaves which I think
previously it did after flowering. I just wonder if there's a problem with
the tree or is it down to position or weather conditions that have caused
this. I live in the south of England so weather conditions slightly better
than up North! I would appreciate any advice given.

Regards

Some magnolias seems to have good and bad years. We have a liliflora

Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 4, 8:14*pm, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I should treat magnolias like Rhodos and Camelias and make sure that
they have plenty of moisture arouind their roots from May to July
whilst flower bud formation is taking place.
I would use agood balanced fertilizer as you will want thr plant to
make growth as well as flower buds.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay

magnolia stellata query bob[_1_] United Kingdom 7 20-04-2009 07:16 AM
Magnolia tree on the move BB North Carolina 1 25-04-2003 06:56 PM
Where to buy magnolia trees in hampshire John Moran United Kingdom 8 16-04-2003 10:44 AM
magnolia info please...... will Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Young Magnolia Tree SarahF Gardening 1 02-04-2003 01:56 AM