Old 16-04-2012, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climber ideas

In article ,
Spider wrote:

I suppose Muehlenbeckia complexa would be less than hardy with you?

Dunno, but it's not really what I want. Amusingly, I have just
germinated some Calystegia tuguriorium seed, which I collected
growing through some Muehlenbeckia complexa - and my relatives
thought it was very funny wanting to grow Muehlenbeckia. I told
them that the seed I was collecting was Calystegia, but they
didn't take note (and, of course, I know vastly more botany than
they do!)

I shall have to see how it goes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-04-2012, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...

I have just removed a C. armandii that has got out of control.
The location is a good one, next to the house wall and facing
south-south-west, and the soil is good and well-drained, but
this is Cambridge. The problem is that the area is only about
1.5 metres high and 3 long, so I need something that I can either
hack back or won't grow above 3-4 metres. But it DOES need to
be vigorous to 2 metres, to cover a waterbutt.

Passiflora caerulea can't take the winters; P. incarnata can,
but it's probably too wet in winter for it there. Holboellia
grows well but doesn't flower due to late frosts. And so on.
I already have plenty of honeysuckles and clematis, so would
prefer something better than a common one of those, but may be
out of luck.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Trachelospermum or Akebia, the Akebia may have the same problem as the
Holboellia re flowers and late frosts but the Trachelospermum should be fine
although the don't care for very alkaline soils.
Another plant that may be worth a punt is Bignonia capreolata, has proved
both hardy and properly evergreen here

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 16-04-2012, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Trachelospermum or Akebia, the Akebia may have the same problem as the
Holboellia re flowers and late frosts but the Trachelospermum should be fine
although the don't care for very alkaline soils.

Trachelospermum is out, because herself can't stand the scent - and
I agree that it's not easy to ignore! I already grow Akebia, but
it doesn't really cover much - it flowers fairly well here, so is
pretty resistant to frost. I haven't tried eating it, except a
nibble, raw.

Another plant that may be worth a punt is Bignonia capreolata, has proved
both hardy and properly evergreen here

Hmm. While we are a lot colder, this IS one of the warmest positions
in the garden, and I am always interested in pushing boundaries. I
had ruled that out, but should rethink.

Thanks for the ideas.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-04-2012, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Another plant that may be worth a punt is Bignonia capreolata, has proved
both hardy and properly evergreen here

Hmm. While we are a lot colder, this IS one of the warmest positions
in the garden, and I am always interested in pushing boundaries. I
had ruled that out, but should rethink.

Er, the other problem is the VERY limited space! I removed the
Clematis armandii because it was too vigorous. How would Bignonia
respond to being pruned to be within a 1.5 metre high by 3 metre
wide area?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-04-2012, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Another plant that may be worth a punt is Bignonia capreolata, has proved
both hardy and properly evergreen here

Hmm. While we are a lot colder, this IS one of the warmest positions
in the garden, and I am always interested in pushing boundaries. I
had ruled that out, but should rethink.

Er, the other problem is the VERY limited space! I removed the
Clematis armandii because it was too vigorous. How would Bignonia
respond to being pruned to be within a 1.5 metre high by 3 metre
wide area?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

So far its proving to be a model citizen here, remaining properly evergreen
despite -9c frosts this winter, it flowers earlyish May/June so trimming
after that would be fine and not effect the following years flowers