Old 14-04-2012, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climber ideas

I have just removed a C. armandii that has got out of control.
The location is a good one, next to the house wall and facing
south-south-west, and the soil is good and well-drained, but
this is Cambridge. The problem is that the area is only about
1.5 metres high and 3 long, so I need something that I can either
hack back or won't grow above 3-4 metres. But it DOES need to
be vigorous to 2 metres, to cover a waterbutt.

Passiflora caerulea can't take the winters; P. incarnata can,
but it's probably too wet in winter for it there. Holboellia
grows well but doesn't flower due to late frosts. And so on.
I already have plenty of honeysuckles and clematis, so would
prefer something better than a common one of those, but may be
out of luck.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-04-2012, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Passiflora caerulea can't take the winters;

I can't make up my mind about that. Mine shrugged off the last two
winters, despite the north wind blowing through its trellis. Other years
it has disappeared without trace during not very severe winters.
Fortunately it tends to self seed everywhere so I always have replacements.
IME it makes no attempt to climb above whatever's supporting it so it's
a relatively well behaved climber.
Old 14-04-2012, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:

Passiflora caerulea can't take the winters;

I can't make up my mind about that. Mine shrugged off the last two
winters, despite the north wind blowing through its trellis. Other years
it has disappeared without trace during not very severe winters.
Fortunately it tends to self seed everywhere so I always have replacements.
IME it makes no attempt to climb above whatever's supporting it so it's
a relatively well behaved climber.

Mine did tolerably for a few years, but usually died down to ground
level and regrew. Eventually, it lost vigour and I removed the
remaining weedy suckers and dead main root. Yes, it's well-behaved
and can be cut back hard. I only once got fruit.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-04-2012, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote

I have just removed a C. armandii that has got out of control.
The location is a good one, next to the house wall and facing
south-south-west, and the soil is good and well-drained, but
this is Cambridge. The problem is that the area is only about
1.5 metres high and 3 long, so I need something that I can either
hack back or won't grow above 3-4 metres. But it DOES need to
be vigorous to 2 metres, to cover a waterbutt.

Passiflora caerulea can't take the winters; P. incarnata can,
but it's probably too wet in winter for it there. Holboellia
grows well but doesn't flower due to late frosts. And so on.
I already have plenty of honeysuckles and clematis, so would
prefer something better than a common one of those, but may be
out of luck.

Tropaeolum speciosum?
Often said to get bigger than you require but I have yet to see one that
has.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-04-2012, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Tropaeolum speciosum?
Often said to get bigger than you require but I have yet to see one that
has.

Thanks, but completely hopeless on sandy soil in Cambridge. It needs
cool, damp conditions, at least at the root. I have tried several
times; none thrived, and only one lasted out the first summer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-04-2012, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/04/2012 15:01, wrote:
I have just removed a C. armandii that has got out of control.
The location is a good one, next to the house wall and facing
south-south-west, and the soil is good and well-drained, but
this is Cambridge. The problem is that the area is only about
1.5 metres high and 3 long, so I need something that I can either
hack back or won't grow above 3-4 metres. But it DOES need to
be vigorous to 2 metres, to cover a waterbutt.

Passiflora caerulea can't take the winters; P. incarnata can,
but it's probably too wet in winter for it there. Holboellia
grows well but doesn't flower due to late frosts. And so on.
I already have plenty of honeysuckles and clematis, so would
prefer something better than a common one of those, but may be
out of luck.

Clematis uncinata is evergreen, unusual, and scented. I got mine from
Great Dixter about 7 years ago. It's survived despite not being fully
hardy, but may be a bit too vigorous for you once it gets going.

I assume that Jasminum officinale isn't evergreen where you are, but it
might be worth a go anyway.

What about planting something which may be a bit slower than you really
want, and using drought-tolerant annual climbers (such as nasturtium) to
provide some cover until the perennial climber has done its job?

--

Jeff
Old 14-04-2012, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

Tropaeolum speciosum?
Often said to get bigger than you require but I have yet to see one that
has.

Thanks, but completely hopeless on sandy soil in Cambridge. It needs
cool, damp conditions, at least at the root. I have tried several
times; none thrived, and only one lasted out the first summer.

OK, then how about ...
Eccremocarpus scaber (might not be winter hardy, advice differs)
Trachelospermum asiaticum or jasminoides.
Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin'
Olearia

They all like it free draining and sun but there is free draining and there
is dry.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-04-2012, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
In article ,
Janet wrote:

Golden hop? Vigorous but all topgrowth die in winter.

Thanks - I really should have thought of that. It certainly would
work.

Jeff Layman wrote:

Clematis uncinata is evergreen, unusual, and scented. I got mine from
Great Dixter about 7 years ago. It's survived despite not being fully
hardy, but may be a bit too vigorous for you once it gets going.

Thanks. That's worth investigating.

I assume that Jasminum officinale isn't evergreen where you are, but it
might be worth a go anyway.

I have it elsewhere, and the problem is the accumulation of old
stems - you are right that it isn't evergreen, but it would flower
better in this location than where I have it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-04-2012, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/04/2012 15:01, wrote:
I have just removed a C. armandii that has got out of control.
The location is a good one, next to the house wall and facing
south-south-west, and the soil is good and well-drained, but
this is Cambridge. The problem is that the area is only about
1.5 metres high and 3 long, so I need something that I can either
hack back or won't grow above 3-4 metres. But it DOES need to
be vigorous to 2 metres, to cover a waterbutt.

Passiflora caerulea can't take the winters; P. incarnata can,
but it's probably too wet in winter for it there. Holboellia
grows well but doesn't flower due to late frosts. And so on.
I already have plenty of honeysuckles and clematis, so would
prefer something better than a common one of those, but may be
out of luck.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hi Nick,

Am I missing something here, or is there some reason why an evergreen
hedge couldn't be grown in this situation? I am thinking specifically
of Pyracantha, which is often grown next to a house wall and can look
very smart. It is smothered in flower June/July and is very attractive
to bees, hoverflies and butterflies; then, in Autumn it is smothered in
berries which attract birds .. thus saving you lots of dosh on bird food.

Just as with any climber you might plant, you will have to excavate and
improve the soil, then keep it well-watered until established (and
occasionally afterwards), but it would almost permanently resolve your
problem. So, does it have to be a climber?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 15-04-2012, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Am I missing something here, or is there some reason why an evergreen
hedge couldn't be grown in this situation?

Lack of width, for a start. I could grow something that can be
trained to be very narrow, like Cotoneaster, but it would be
suitable for only part of the area, and I find them as exciting
as a wet Wednesday in Wigan.

I am thinking specifically
of Pyracantha, which is often grown next to a house wall and can look
very smart. It is smothered in flower June/July and is very attractive
to bees, hoverflies and butterflies; then, in Autumn it is smothered in
berries which attract birds .. thus saving you lots of dosh on bird food.

Er, that's a GHASTLY idea! I got rid of my last one because I was
sick of pruning it - stems 6' and 3/4" across in a season - and the
thorns always caused minor inflammation. Also, it's not evergreen
here! Sorry ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-04-2012, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote ..

Spider wrote:

Am I missing something here, or is there some reason why an evergreen
hedge couldn't be grown in this situation?

Lack of width, for a start. I could grow something that can be
trained to be very narrow, like Cotoneaster, but it would be
suitable for only part of the area, and I find them as exciting
as a wet Wednesday in Wigan.

On that idea how about a Hibiscus, I've got one I took as a cutting that
I've cut back with shears every year to do as you want, cover a fence. OK a
bit slow growing and bare in winter/spring but beautiful flowers late
summer. Got a number of self seeded ones on the allotment that I am training
as a hedge.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-04-2012, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

On that idea how about a Hibiscus, I've got one I took as a cutting that
I've cut back with shears every year to do as you want, cover a fence. OK a
bit slow growing and bare in winter/spring but beautiful flowers late
summer. Got a number of self seeded ones on the allotment that I am training
as a hedge.

See below. We used to have a couple, but they died.

In article , Sacha wrote:

Yew topiary in front of the water butt, either in a well-drained
container or in the ground? I imagine Buddleia lindleyana would lose
its leaves with you?

Almost certainly. But I really do mean a shortage of width; for
a large part of it, anything wider than 4" is a problem, and
anything wider than 8" a major problem. That was one of the
issues with the C. armandii. While I could prune yew to that
width, I am disinclined to expend that amount of effort on what
would be at best a little unsatisfactory.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.