Old 16-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Registered User

Default Plants for a gloomy greenhouse!

Hello,

"Gloomy greenhouse" isn't, perhaps, the best way to describe things - I'll let you decide.

I've been given a greenhouse, an 8 foot by 6 foot, Halls.

I already have one, halfway along the garden - my garden is very narrow, because the lady in the ground floor flat, has the left hand side, and I have the right hand side.

The only place that I can put it, is at the far end, about two feet inside, and parallel to, the boundary fence.

This means that it will run NE to SW, which is OK, but about eighteen inches on the other side of the fence is a two storey building, so I only get direct sunshine very late in the afternoon/evening, [assuming it's shining]

So, I get illumination, but it's shady - it's well sheltered from winds, with a hedge, along it's back wall, but I've no intention of spending any money on heating!

Has anybody any suggestions for plants for this, please?

Two suggestions so far, the first from somebody in my local, "In the Winter, you could grow snowmen".

And possibly a more sensible one, to perhaps try Alpines, in trays, on staging, [it seems that not all Alpines need sunshine]

I had to go and look at an Alpine in B & Q the other day, because I've never knowingly seen one - quite pretty and delicate, but I am open to other suggestions.

Sam the Eagle
Old 16-04-2012, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/04/2012 17:11, Sameagle wrote:
[...]

As to alpines the smaller saxifrages do well in shade. (and are best
seen at a higher level).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...saxifrage.html

On a more utilitarian level I have found cucumbers to grow and fruit
well in a pot in a shady greenhouse - plants available in garden centres
now.

Paul

Old 17-04-2012, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

In the gloomiest, darkest, part you could always try Lapageria (or
Berberidopsis - although that can take sun a lot better than Lapageria).

As to alpines, there are some that grow on north-facing sites (such as
Ramonda and Haberlea).

--

Jeff