Old 22-04-2012, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plantain,green banana

On Apr 22, 8:37*am, wrote:
In article ,

harry wrote:
On Apr 21, 8:08pm, Sacha wrote:

Those I know who have tried them couldn't bebothered to do so again!

Yep. They don't taste of anything.
Comparable to yuca in flavour (nil)

That is a fault with the variety, importation or cooking. *They
have a distinct flavour, comparable in intensity to the flesh of
an ordinary potato (i.e. not the skin), and somewhat chestnut-like
in nature.

There is a high risk in the UK that you will get ones that were
picked VERY underripe, and I don't know what that does to the
flavour. *And note that the very large bananas commonly called
plantains in the UK are a bulk starch crop, and are usually eaten
with highly spiced food - I haven't actually tried those ones.

I have only eaten them abroad (S America)
Never had either plantain or yuca in this country (UK).
In South America only the poor eat them.
Old 22-04-2012, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 21, 12:55*pm, OZZY ROB
wrote:
Hi out there does anyone know where i can buy a sucker or 2 from the
U.K. As i live down under and i can not buy any here ,can anyone help
please.
Regards Rob

--
OZZY ROB

I don't know if you have bothered to do a google search, but just in
case you don't know how to do so You might look at this site, it will
explain about growing Plantains in Oz
http://www.bellis.info/Site_3/Blog/E...3_Entry_1.html

Plantain Hosta pixi Gardening 8 17-04-2004 07:30 PM
Plantain Hosta pixi Gardening 1 17-04-2004 06:02 PM
Plantain Hosta pixi Gardening 6 17-04-2004 02:45 PM
Killex could not kill Broadleaf plantain? lbbs Edible Gardening 3 09-10-2003 03:24 AM
Killex could not kill Broadleaf plantain? lbbs Gardening 3 09-10-2003 03:23 AM