Old 21-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Registered User

Default Plantain,green banana

Hi out there does anyone know where i can buy a sucker or 2 from the U.K. As i live down under and i can not buy any here ,can anyone help please.
Regards Rob
Old 21-04-2012, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
OZZY ROB

Heh Heh. It's Jamaica or South America you want.
Most people here will not know what a plantain is.
Old 21-04-2012, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"OZZY ROB" wrote in message

Hi out there does anyone know where i can buy a sucker or 2 from the
U.K. As i live down under and i can not buy any here ,can anyone help
please.
Regards Rob

http://www.australianbananas.com.au/...-facts/growing suggests that
bannanas are grown in Australia commercially.

a quick Google of Gumtree gives
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/black...ees/1000198003
which suggests that there are plenty of bannana and plantain trees in Oz.

Perhaps you aren't looking in the right places?

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 21-04-2012, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"OZZY ROB" wrote

Hi out there does anyone know where i can buy a sucker or 2 from the
U.K. As i live down under and i can not buy any here ,can anyone help
please.

From memory I believe there are strict restriction on moving banana
plants/material around Australia. They grow them up Queensland way so do
some searching on Google and see if you can find a supplier or even a grower
and ask them.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-04-2012, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/04/2012 16:38, David WE Roberts wrote:

"OZZY wrote in message

Hi out there does anyone know where i can buy a sucker or 2 from the
U.K. As i live down under and i can not buy any here ,can anyone help
please.
Regards Rob

http://www.australianbananas.com.au/...-facts/growing suggests that
bannanas are grown in Australia commercially.

a quick Google of Gumtree gives
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/black...ees/1000198003
which suggests that there are plenty of bannana and plantain trees in Oz.

Perhaps you aren't looking in the right places?

In any case you can't import one from outside Oz.

--
Phil Cook

Old 21-04-2012, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 08:27:09 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Apr 21, 12:55*pm, OZZY ROB
wrote:
Hi out there does anyone know where i can buy a sucker or 2 from the
U.K. As i live down under and i can not buy any here ,can anyone help
please.
Regards Rob

--
OZZY ROB

Heh Heh. It's Jamaica or South America you want.
Most people here will not know what a plantain is.

My local grocers sells them so some or his customers must know what
they are. I think most people know what they are but don't know what
to do with them.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 21-04-2012, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-21 16:27:09 +0100, said:

Heh Heh. It's Jamaica or South America you want.
Most people here will not know what a plantain is.

One or two of us have taken holidays abroad. ;-)

Me live near Brixton maaaaan.
--
Phil Cook
Old 21-04-2012, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-21 16:27:09 +0100, said:

Heh Heh. It's Jamaica or South America you want.
Most people here will not know what a plantain is.

One or two of us have taken holidays abroad. ;-)

Me live near Brixton maaaaan.
--
Phil Cook

Ainsley did use them on his cooking prog once.

Bill

Old 22-04-2012, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-21 18:05:34 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 08:27:09 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Apr 21, 12:55*pm, OZZY ROB
wrote:
Hi out there does anyone know where i can buy a sucker or 2 from the
U.K. As i live down under and i can not buy any here ,can anyone help
please.
Regards Rob

--
OZZY ROB

Heh Heh. *It's Jamaica or *South America you want.
Most people here will not know what a plantain is.

My local grocers sells them so some or his customers must know what
they are. I think most people know what they are but don't know what
to do with them.

Steve

Those I know who have tried them couldn't bebothered to do so again!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.comwww.hillhousenurseryt earoom.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Yep. They don't taste of anything.
Comparable to yuca in flavour (nil)
Old 22-04-2012, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
harry wrote:
On Apr 21, 8:08pm, Sacha wrote:

Those I know who have tried them couldn't bebothered to do so again!

Yep. They don't taste of anything.
Comparable to yuca in flavour (nil)

That is a fault with the variety, importation or cooking. They
have a distinct flavour, comparable in intensity to the flesh of
an ordinary potato (i.e. not the skin), and somewhat chestnut-like
in nature.

There is a high risk in the UK that you will get ones that were
picked VERY underripe, and I don't know what that does to the
flavour. And note that the very large bananas commonly called
plantains in the UK are a bulk starch crop, and are usually eaten
with highly spiced food - I haven't actually tried those ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 22-04-2012, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"OZZY ROB" wrote in message

Hi out there does anyone know where i can buy a sucker or 2 from the
U.K. As i live down under and i can not buy any here ,can anyone help
please.
Regards Rob

No reply thus far.
Given the notes on import restrictions I wonder which kind of "suckers" Rob
was looking for?

Old 22-04-2012, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2012 09:42, David WE Roberts wrote:

"OZZY wrote in message

Hi out there does anyone know where i can buy a sucker or 2 from the
U.K. As i live down under and i can not buy any here ,can anyone help
please.
Regards Rob

No reply thus far.
Given the notes on import restrictions I wonder which kind of "suckers" Rob
was looking for?

Those from the well-known plant suppliers W.C. Fields, perhaps?

--

Jeff
Old 22-04-2012, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-21 16:27:09 +0100, harry said:

On Apr 21, 12:55*pm, OZZY ROB
wrote:
Hi out there does anyone know where i can buy a sucker or 2 from the
U.K. As i live down under and i can not buy any here ,can anyone help
please.
Regards Rob

--
OZZY ROB

Heh Heh. It's Jamaica or South America you want.
Most people here will not know what a plantain is.

One or two of us have taken holidays abroad. ;-)

Holidays abroad - whatever next?

The last holiday I had abroad was very disappointing. We flew from
Manchester in blazing sun to Corsica where it rained for two weeks.

Now I haven't even got a passport!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 22-04-2012, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Stephen Wolstenholme said:

harry wrote:

OZZY ROB wrote:
Hi out there does anyone know where i can buy a sucker or 2 from the
U.K. As i live down under and i can not buy any here ,can anyone help
please.
Regards Rob

Heh Heh. It's Jamaica or South America you want.
Most people here will not know what a plantain is.

My local grocers sells them so some or his customers must know what
they are. I think most people know what they are but don't know what
to do with them.

Those I know who have tried them couldn't bebothered to do so again!

The ones I've eaten when abroad, in the West Indies and in Asia have been
very tasty. Not tried them in the UK although they them for sale in
Southall.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 22-04-2012, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 22, 9:42*am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"OZZY ROB" wrote in message

Hi out there does anyone know where i can buy a sucker or 2 from the
U.K. As i live down under and i can not buy any here ,can anyone help
please.
Regards Rob

No reply thus far.
Given the notes on import restrictions I wonder which kind of "suckers" Rob
was looking for?

Bananas are grown from suckers. They cut up bits of root and bury
them.
Every few years the plot has to be dug up and replanted.as it gets
right out of hand.
Cultivated bananas have been bred to have no seed.
Wld banananas have huge seeds.

Plantain Hosta pixi Gardening 8 17-04-2004 07:30 PM
Plantain Hosta pixi Gardening 1 17-04-2004 06:02 PM
Plantain Hosta pixi Gardening 6 17-04-2004 02:45 PM
Killex could not kill Broadleaf plantain? lbbs Edible Gardening 3 09-10-2003 03:24 AM
Killex could not kill Broadleaf plantain? lbbs Gardening 3 09-10-2003 03:23 AM