Old 23-04-2012, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water lily.. deid or dozing?

Last summer, I planted a hardy white water lily in our new pond ,growing
in a basket, sitting in 2ft 6" of water. It flowered well and put up new
leaves. Then as it died back in autumn I fished out the rotting leaves.

The pond has had only shallow surface ice for one or two short periods in
midwinter. Due to pond murk I can't actually see as far as the basket but
there's no sign of new lily leaves approaching the surface yet. Shallower
pond plants are starting back into growth; goldfish are looking healthy
and lively.

Should the water lily be coming into leaf yet or am I being impatient?
Arran is a mild-winter climate, spring is sunny but chilly atm.

Janet.

Old 23-04-2012, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote

Last summer, I planted a hardy white water lily in our new pond ,growing
in a basket, sitting in 2ft 6" of water. It flowered well and put up new
leaves. Then as it died back in autumn I fished out the rotting leaves.

The pond has had only shallow surface ice for one or two short periods in
midwinter. Due to pond murk I can't actually see as far as the basket but
there's no sign of new lily leaves approaching the surface yet. Shallower
pond plants are starting back into growth; goldfish are looking healthy
and lively.

Should the water lily be coming into leaf yet or am I being impatient?
Arran is a mild-winter climate, spring is sunny but chilly atm.

Of the 4 I have only the "Peach Glow" has a leaf (and flower bud!) at the
surface but then that is a crazy plant that I suspect has too much tropical
lily in it's makeup. The others, including "Gladstoniana" (largest white),
are only showing signs of beginning to grow, I can see new leaves pushing
out of the tubs but nothing anywhere near approaching the surface yet.
They really start into strong growth in May.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-04-2012, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message

Last summer, I planted a hardy white water lily in our new pond ,growing
in a basket, sitting in 2ft 6" of water. It flowered well and put up new
leaves. Then as it died back in autumn I fished out the rotting leaves.

The pond has had only shallow surface ice for one or two short periods in
midwinter. Due to pond murk I can't actually see as far as the basket but
there's no sign of new lily leaves approaching the surface yet. Shallower
pond plants are starting back into growth; goldfish are looking healthy
and lively.

Should the water lily be coming into leaf yet or am I being impatient?
Arran is a mild-winter climate, spring is sunny but chilly atm.

Janet.

Its all about water temperature, I was in Worcestershire yesterday and I
could see down to the crowns which were just sending up the first leaves,
here one of my ponds has a good spread of leaves and the first flower buds
while the other to the north of the house is more behind despite both having
divisions of the same Lilies

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 23-04-2012, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water lily.. died or dozing?

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message

[...]

Same with my daughter's pond Charlie, well and truly up and the leaves on
the surface. The ducklings like walking across them!!

Mike