Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Veg assistance please

On 30/04/2012 19:13, Moonraker wrote:
I try to be self supporting in veg, but always fail. We run out mid
Winter then nothing until early Summer except frozen. Any suggestions as
to which veg can be grown to fill the late Winter and early Spring
months please? I have lost all my Spring cabbages in their early stages
by greedy mice. Any regimes far all year round supplies?

As others have mentioned: Leeks, curly kale, spring greens.

I'll add: Asparagus (cropping now) and land cress for salads.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/05/2012 17:16, kay wrote:
No Name;957583 Wrote:

I had red kale, curly kale and leeks all available well into spring this
year, although we didn't really eat much of them. And the old
greenhouse grow bags were used to get some lettuce/salad leaves going -
they didn't really get going until Feb/March, but there were enough to
pick a few leaves off during winter. Sprouts would be the other obvious
one, but personally I have terrible trouble getting my sprouts to grow.

Which reminds me - beansprouts can be grown at any time of year ;-)

Oh dear. I grew some of these in my early 20s. Once they'd grown (and
because I'd nurtured them), I thought they were to cute to eat. Just
couldn't bear the idea. I went out for the evening and, when I got
back, my mum had eaten the lot!

I'm not quite so soft now and I love eating beansprouts.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 02-05-2012, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Spider wrote:
Which reminds me - beansprouts can be grown at any time of year ;-)

Oh dear. I grew some of these in my early 20s. Once they'd grown (and
because I'd nurtured them), I thought they were to cute to eat. Just
couldn't bear the idea. I went out for the evening and, when I got
back, my mum had eaten the lot!

I set some up in a coffee jar for my neighbour and told her what to do with them. 2 weeks later she leaned over the fence and asked "what do I do with these now?" - they were about 12" tall and growing out of the jar.

Old 22-06-2012, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Moonraker wrote:

I try to be self supporting in veg, but always fail. We run out mid
Winter then nothing until early Summer except frozen. Any suggestions
as to which veg can be grown to fill the late Winter and early Spring
months please? I have lost all my Spring cabbages in their early
stages by greedy mice. Any regimes far all year round supplies?

Plant spring cabbage in your greenhouse following the tomatoes.
Purple sprouting broc harvests early in the spring.

Rog
http://rog.pynguins.com