Old 14-05-2012, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vinegar as weedkiller

On 14/05/2012 11:34, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

On 14/05/2012 10:58, Martin wrote:

According to the Dutch government there is evidence that glyphosate
causes degenerative damage to the nervous system leading to things
like Parkinson's disease (The results of a study made in Shanghai

The only reports I can find of this are on Organic(TM) crank sites and
anti-Monsanto sites.

Martin may be referring to

A 2011 case study published in the journal Parkinsonism Related Disorders,
entitled "Parkinsonism after chronic occupational exposure to
glyphosate,"

Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2011 Jul;17(6):486-7. Epub 2011 Mar 2. PMID:
21367645
Author(s):

Gang Wang, Xiao-Ning Fan, Yu-Yan Tan, Qi Cheng, Sheng-Di Chen

Department of Neurology&Institute of Neurology, Ruijin Hospital affiliated
to Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200025,
China.

or

an article published in the journal of Neurotoxicology and Teratology
published this month (April, 2012), entitled "Glyphosate induced cell
death through apoptotic and authophagic mechanisms"

Janet

Thanks for the link.

From that I was able to find one of the papers in the primary
literature and what it says is that if you dunk some unfortunate
nematodes in 8% glyphosate they suffer from some level of degradation of
nerve function and that is the LD50. I would be a lot more wary of the
dithiocarbamide fungicide MZ.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...61813X11000301

(article behind paywall but abstract and figures are not)

But if you dunked them into 8% acetic acid or brine for 30mins or 24h
they would *all* be stone dead!

Whilst I could believe that if the wetting agent didn't kill you first
you might suffer nerve damage by ingesting huge amounts of glyphosate
concentrate I do not view it as a serious hazard. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown