Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sowing carrot seed.

My daughter-in-law has sown some 70 toilet roll cardboard tubes with carrot
seed for me in seed compost on the window cill.
I always thought it was wrong to do this because the carrots will "fork" in
compost. Or is it just manure that is wrong to grow carrots in?

I always sow them in soil because of this, but of course this year with the
weather mine/ours have failed.

Is it OK to sow in compost?

Thanks.
Baz
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

My daughter-in-law has sown some 70 toilet roll cardboard tubes with carrot
seed for me in seed compost on the window cill.
I always thought it was wrong to do this because the carrots will "fork" in
compost. Or is it just manure that is wrong to grow carrots in?

I always sow them in soil because of this, but of course this year with the
weather mine/ours have failed.

Is it OK to sow in compost?

In order to try to avoid Carrot Root Fly we grow ours in an old water tank,
so up off the ground, and fill it with a mixture of compost/growbag
compost/soil based compost/sand and they do well. seldom if ever have any
fork, they seem to like the soft friable soil with no stones. Our seeds are
just beginning to germinate so I would not think it too late to plant again.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote

My daughter-in-law has sown some 70 toilet roll cardboard tubes with
carrot seed for me in seed compost on the window cill.
I always thought it was wrong to do this because the carrots will
"fork" in compost. Or is it just manure that is wrong to grow carrots
in?

I always sow them in soil because of this, but of course this year
with the weather mine/ours have failed.

Is it OK to sow in compost?

In order to try to avoid Carrot Root Fly we grow ours in an old water
tank, so up off the ground, and fill it with a mixture of
compost/growbag compost/soil based compost/sand and they do well.
seldom if ever have any fork, they seem to like the soft friable soil
with no stones. Our seeds are just beginning to germinate so I would
not think it too late to plant again.

Thanks, Bob. The answer I hoped for.

Kind regards.
Baz

Sowing carrot seed. Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 6 24-06-2013 01:10 PM
Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 01:54 AM
Sowing Grass Seed Steve United Kingdom 4 17-10-2003 09:22 AM
sowing some grass seed a United Kingdom 1 12-09-2003 09:42 PM
[IBC] conifers seed sowing guidelines Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 06:44 PM