Old 23-06-2013, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sowing carrot seed.

A young couple have just sown some carrot seed this morning on their
plot on the allotment. They say that this is when the young lasses father
and grandfather used to sow them to avoid the fly. They will not be
covering them because the fly threat is gone.
I have done the same as them after the info they gave.

Any thoughts?
Baz
Old 23-06-2013, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
A young couple have just sown some carrot seed this morning on their
plot on the allotment. They say that this is when the young lasses father
and grandfather used to sow them to avoid the fly. They will not be
covering them because the fly threat is gone.
I have done the same as them after the info they gave.

Any thoughts?
Baz

My 'bible' says the fly are active April/May and July/August but I don't
take the chance.
--
Pete C

Old 23-06-2013, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in
o.uk:

"Baz" wrote in message
A young couple have just sown some carrot seed this morning on their
plot on the allotment. They say that this is when the young lasses
father and grandfather used to sow them to avoid the fly. They will
not be covering them because the fly threat is gone.
I have done the same as them after the info they gave.

Any thoughts?
Baz

My 'bible' says the fly are active April/May and July/August but I
don't take the chance.

Oh eck! Well, the deed is done. Only £1.50 to throw away. I can throw a
very fine net over them. In fact I am going up to do it now. See you.

Baz
Old 23-06-2013, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
A young couple have just sown some carrot seed this morning on their
plot on the allotment. They say that this is when the young lasses father
and grandfather used to sow them to avoid the fly. They will not be
covering them because the fly threat is gone.
I have done the same as them after the info they gave.

I have heard the same, although I think I read that you can do them a
lot easrlier than now to avoid fly, around end of May.

Not that there's much credence in anything I say regarding carrots.
My track record is ... not good.

Old 24-06-2013, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
A young couple have just sown some carrot seed this morning on their
plot on the allotment. They say that this is when the young lasses
father and grandfather used to sow them to avoid the fly. They will
not be covering them because the fly threat is gone.
I have done the same as them after the info they gave.

I have heard the same, although I think I read that you can do them a
lot easrlier than now to avoid fly, around end of May.

Not that there's much credence in anything I say regarding carrots.
My track record is ... not good.

I have had great success in the past with 2 foot high clear polythene with
a wooden frame. When I took it to the allotment it got shredded by vandals.
Now I am trying this simpler method. We will see. If it fails I will try
May, next year as you say.

Thanks
Baz

Old 24-06-2013, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
[...]

Cheaper........canes around your carrot patch, wind kitchen cling film
around them and secure with pegs to canes.....simples
--
Pete C

Old 24-06-2013, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in
o.uk:

"Baz" wrote in message
wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
[...]

Yes but it is a one off. It is far cheaper to make a structure which can
be re-used year after year. My one would have lasted if it wasn't for the
loonies who take satisfaction in wrecking anything they don't understand.
We have cameras on the site but the theives wear hoods and balaclavas.
The police are support things. NOT police. Our neighbourhood PCSO is too
fat to chase anything. How he got the job is anyones guess! But he and
his trainee sit in the car and eat fish and chips and walk around for a
few minutes to break their wind.
When we report that our allotment has been broken into we get the PCSO.

Baz

Sowing carrot seed. Baz[_4_] United Kingdom 2 12-05-2012 06:13 PM
Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 01:54 AM
Sowing Grass Seed Steve United Kingdom 4 17-10-2003 09:22 AM
sowing some grass seed a United Kingdom 1 12-09-2003 09:42 PM
[IBC] conifers seed sowing guidelines Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 06:44 PM