Old 20-05-2012, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Had to re-sow

Beetroot. It came up but has disappeared.. had to fill in spaces spinach
and spring onions. It's so cold.
Planted Maris Piper potatoes. Sowed coriander and methi in a new bed and
had to go all over it with a fork to get roots out.
Dug up any couch grass showing in the veg beds.
Threw wood ash over the early potatoes and hoed it in.

Got nettles into a container to get the nettle tea.

Dug over the strawberry bed for roots as they are going out next week.

got the runner bean trench dug very deeply, newspapers in and lots of
chicken poo and watering it to death. and the canes up.

Went home to retire from it.

Tina

Old 20-05-2012, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Beetroot. It came up but has disappeared.. had to fill in spaces spinach
and spring onions. It's so cold.
Planted Maris Piper potatoes. Sowed coriander and methi in a new bed and
had to go all over it with a fork to get roots out.
Dug up any couch grass showing in the veg beds.
Threw wood ash over the early potatoes and hoed it in.

Got nettles into a container to get the nettle tea.

Dug over the strawberry bed for roots as they are going out next week.

got the runner bean trench dug very deeply, newspapers in and lots of
chicken poo and watering it to death. and the canes up.

Went home to retire from it.

Very good. I know that feeling, we went out before 12, came home for a
quick lunch (well, about an hour in the end, cos I weeded the front garden
whilst here) then went back. Was going to take the boys out for pizza for
being good, then realised it was 6.30, not 5! And we hadn't finished. :-(

Today I:
* re-weeded the raspberries (it's so annoying! I weeded it /so/ well, but
it's still coming up with twitch and bind weed!)
* put out the 5 strips of peas that were in the greenhouse
* planted the first 2 rows of beans (runner beans 3 per-pole, as I'm not sure
how viable the seed are, or what they are - they're just hanging about in a
margarine tub! I have no idea where all my runner bean seeds have gone!!
And 4 different types of dwarf beans - purple queen, sonasta, tendergreen,
and nun's bellybutton). When I get the chance I need to put in the other 2
rows of beans, with different climbers (I appear to have 5 different colours
of climbing bean) and a load of borlottis underneath.

Doesn't seem a lot to get done for a day, but at least now there is enough
room in the greenhouse to get the grow bags sorted out. At the moment they
are ina big pile 'warming up'.

Old 21-05-2012, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Beetroot. It came up but has disappeared.. had to fill in spaces
spinach and spring onions. It's so cold.
Planted Maris Piper potatoes. Sowed coriander and methi in a new bed
and had to go all over it with a fork to get roots out.
Dug up any couch grass showing in the veg beds.
Threw wood ash over the early potatoes and hoed it in.

Got nettles into a container to get the nettle tea.

Dug over the strawberry bed for roots as they are going out next week.

got the runner bean trench dug very deeply, newspapers in and lots of
chicken poo and watering it to death. and the canes up.

Went home to retire from it.

Tina

Maris Piper is a good choice. The most versatile spud, mashing, chipping
and roasting IMO. Or just peeled and boiled.
I love potatoes, as can be seen from my waistline now that I have a none
physical job. 32" to 34" in a year. And expanding all the time.

Beetroot and spring onions, you are right IMO it is just so damn cold. We
had a nice warm period in Feb. (or Jan.) and instead of getting warmer it
just got colder and shockingly wet after the drought warnings. Still is.

Best wishes.
Baz
Old 21-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
Beetroot. It came up but has disappeared.. had to fill in spaces spinach and spring onions. It's so cold.
If its the kind of thing you can plausibly start off in seedtrays and plant out later, I find this is much more likely to be successful.
Old 21-05-2012, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Afternoon,

My beetroot and spring onions sown in containers during some of the nicer
weather (remember?) are romping away - I'm really impressed - this is my
first year growing either of them.

The beetroot on the allotment have germinated at least, but are still really
quite small.

.. .

Old 21-05-2012, 07:10 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_4_] View Post
Beetroot and spring onions, you are right IMO it is just so damn cold. We
had a nice warm period in Feb. (or Jan.) and instead of getting warmer it
just got colder and shockingly wet after the drought warnings. Still is.
Came back from Portugal at the beginning of april to find my broad beans 6inches tall.

They then stayed at 6inches till about a week ago.

To sow or not to sow? William Rose Edible Gardening 10 16-04-2007 07:10 PM
had poor garden Romy Beeck Gardening 4 22-10-2003 09:02 PM
Help! Never had a garden Hilary Edible Gardening 5 26-03-2003 10:56 PM
Help! Never had a garden (about apple maggots) Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 2 23-03-2003 05:56 AM
Houston had 12:00 hour of light today J Kolenovsky Texas 1 17-03-2003 11:56 PM