Old 25-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Registered User

Default Leatherjacket grubs in my flowerbeds

I started tidying up my flowerbeds yesterday and discovered alot of grubs - i think they are leatherjackets - in the soil. Some of my plants are struggling and look a little under attack. Im guessing that they have been eating away at their roots.

To give an idea of how many there are, if you took a double handful of soil from the beds, you would probably have a grub in it, perhaps two.

How do i get rid of them? I can use a chemical pesticide if needs be, but the only one i am aware of is one that you apply on lawns in the autum to kill them before they become grubs.

thanks
Old 27-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the replies.
They are definately not vine weevil grubs.
They look like this:
Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Tipula_leatherjacket_Emelt.jpg
So i guess they are leatherjacket grubs.

new flowerbeds Lisa Hurley Gardening 2 12-04-2004 03:32 PM
How to Kill Grubs/larvae of JuneBugs?? (Dogs eat Grubs) Tom Servo Texas 0 27-03-2004 07:02 AM
"Instant Flowerbeds" - any good? Ben United Kingdom 2 16-07-2003 05:25 PM
"Instant Flowerbeds" - any good? Ben United Kingdom 0 15-07-2003 08:17 PM
Spiders in the flowerbeds Judy and Dave G Gardening 12 22-04-2003 03:32 PM