Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mint revisited

One of my daughters has kindly given me a 500g tub of mint, all ready
prepared for pony to have mixed in her feed. It cost approx £7 and I really
wonder if it is worth all the trouble of growing and preparing the mint to
the same high standard when it can be bought for so little money. I will
however still do the nettles as we have heaps of them growing around the
edge of the paddock.

kate
in wet and warm Gloucestershire

Old 02-06-2012, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-02 10:34:25 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
said:

One of my daughters has kindly given me a 500g tub of mint, all ready
prepared for pony to have mixed in her feed. It cost approx £7 and I
really wonder if it is worth all the trouble of growing and preparing
the mint to the same high standard when it can be bought for so little
money. I will however still do the nettles as we have heaps of them
growing around the edge of the paddock.

kate
in wet and warm Gloucestershire

Is this a growing, live plant, or one of those cut-for-the-kitchen
packs? Either way, that strikes me as rather expensive! If you do want
mint to grow, put it in a tub or bucket that can drain and watch it
doesn't root through at the bottom, into the usual take over bid!

I take that to be a tub of dried mint, and as you say you get a lot of
dried mint in 500g.
I'd still plant some, and as you want to use it for the horses I should
think you want it to spread, find an odd corner for it, somewhere damp
and shaded if you can and just let it go,
I had water mint at the side of a pool in a previous house and it would
creep out into the lawn. lovely smell every time I cut the grass.
David @ the once wet end of Swansea Bay.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

One of my daughters has kindly given me a 500g tub of mint, all ready
prepared for pony to have mixed in her feed. It cost approx £7 and I
really
wonder if it is worth all the trouble of growing and preparing the mint to
the same high standard when it can be bought for so little money. I will
however still do the nettles as we have heaps of them growing around the
edge of the paddock.

kate
in wet and warm Gloucestershire

That's expensive Kate, buy a plant and you will be amazed how quickly
it grows and spreads.

I think that I made a poor job of describing the mint product, mint is
already dried and crushed, a bit like fine sand, you just need to mix or
sprinkle a medium spoonful over the animals feed and the job is done, the
feed room smells wonderful and it lasts for quite some time. I think I will
still grow some different sorts of mint for use in the kitchen. Thank you
Sacha and Janet for your interest I hope this makes more sense :-)

kate

Old 02-06-2012, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 13:10:08 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

One of my daughters has kindly given me a 500g tub of mint, all ready
prepared for pony to have mixed in her feed. It cost approx £7

BOGGLE.

and I really
wonder if it is worth all the trouble of growing and preparing the mint to
the same high standard when it can be bought for so little money.

Mint is absolutely irrepressible and foolproof :-) You could grow a tub
like that every month for nothing.

Janet

It's not foolproof! The OH managed to kill a large tub of it the year
before last. 'twas only then I realised how difficult it can be to get
your hands on some common garden mint which, IMO, has the best
flavour. Everywhere round here was only selling those designer mints
that are supposed to taste of apple, banana, strawberry .. anything
but mint.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jake wrote:
It's not foolproof! The OH managed to kill a large tub of it the year
before last. 'twas only then I realised how difficult it can be to get
your hands on some common garden mint which, IMO, has the best
flavour. Everywhere round here was only selling those designer mints
that are supposed to taste of apple, banana, strawberry .. anything
but mint.

Help yourself for 'cuttings' from mine - I dragged it up by the roots
almost every time I walk through the garden during summer, cos it just
annoys me so much.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Jun 2, 10:34*am, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
One of my daughters has kindly given me a 500g tub of mint, all ready
prepared for pony to have mixed in her feed. It cost approx £7 and I really
wonder if it is worth all the trouble of growing and preparing the mint to
the same high standard when it can be bought for so little money. I will
however still do the nettles as we have heaps of them growing around the
edge of the paddock.

kate
in wet and warm Gloucestershire

Why not put some stakes into the ground close together at the paddock
edge, so horses cant get between them. Plant mint between them, and
its self service.

NT
Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 17:25:38 +0100, Sacha wrote:

There's a really tiny leaved one called (I think - not going out in the
rain to look) Corsican mint. It's terribly pretty and is one of those
little herb plants that would look really pretty in between paving
stones.

I once got Corsican mint growing very well between paving stones but
then I tasted a bit. It has such a good taste that I started cutting
too much. It doesn't like the wet weather in England. The combination
of me and the rain was too much for it!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com