Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Registered User

Default Begonia care

I live in central Scotland and new to this forum.My dad passed away last week and I need some help with his begonias in his greenhouse.There are
about 100 in small 9cm pots.How often should I water them? Do I need to move them to larger pots? How often should I feed them? He did say to me a couple of weeks past that the beginias were slow this year.Any help will be
hugely appreciated.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLENM View Post
I live in central Scotland and new to this forum.My dad passed away last week and I need some help with his begonias in his greenhouse.There are
about 100 in small 9cm pots.How often should I water them? Do I need to move them to larger pots? How often should I feed them? He did say to me a couple of weeks past that the beginias were slow this year.Any help will be
hugely appreciated.
What sort of begonias? Are they the sort with big showy flowers? Or are they sort which have smaller flowers and interesting leaves?
__________________
Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
What sort of begonias? Are they the sort with big showy flowers? Or are they sort which have smaller flowers and interesting leaves?
It's the kind with the big showy flowers.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 08:49:01 +0000, ELLENM
wrote:

I live in central Scotland and new to this forum.My dad passed away last
week and I need some help with his begonias in his greenhouse.There are
about 100 in small 9cm pots.How often should I water them? Do I need to
move them to larger pots? How often should I feed them? He did say to me
a couple of weeks past that the beginias were slow this year.Any help
will be
hugely appreciated.

Sorry about your dad.

There are many types of begonias, some are for indoors, then there are
outdoor ground types and other trailing types for hanging baskets. If
your dad was growing 100 or so, they may have been intended for
planting out either in the ground or in baskets or tubs. Or did he
grow plants to show or sell?

If the pots are 9cm, then I'd guess that they are tuberous varieties -
these are grown from a tuber (like a bulb) which is just at the
surface of the compost - if you poke around carefully you should be
able to feel the tuber around where the main stem(s) come out of the
compost. You can also get fibrous rooted types - these have ordinary
roots like most plants but they usually get grown in 7cm, or smaller,
pots.

All types need the compost to be kept moist but not over-wet. A little
every day, either in the early morning or late evening - when the sun
is not hitting the plants - will be better than a heavy soaking once a
week. If you can't manage this (you don't say whether you lived with
your dad or not) then aim for at least every few days and check that
the surface of the compost doesn't dry out completely and develop a
crust - this makes it difficult for the water to penetrate the
compost.

If the plants have big leaves, remember that you need to get the
compost wet. Watering from overhead isn't recommended as the leaves
won't like it and most of the water won't reach the compost. If you
can, it's better to use a can or hose without a spray head and just
run it along the edges of the pots so the water gets onto the compost
under the leaves.

But I'm guessing as to the type of plants you've got. Gardenbanter
will allow you to post a photograph and link to it in a message you
post. If you're able to get a photo, preferably one that's a close-up
of a plant showing the compost surface and what's above the compost,
that we can look at, we'll be able to give you some more definite
advice.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that
end; I'm at this end. Bill's in the middle.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ELLENM" wrote

I live in central Scotland and new to this forum.My dad passed away last
week and I need some help with his begonias in his greenhouse.There are
about 100 in small 9cm pots.How often should I water them? Do I need to
move them to larger pots? How often should I feed them? He did say to me
a couple of weeks past that the beginias were slow this year.Any help
will be
hugely appreciated.

Take a look at this page and the video, I know it's American but it's good
info and relates to the UK too.
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/video-begonia.html
There are also other links there for more info.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"ELLENM" wrote

I live in central Scotland and new to this forum.My dad passed away last
week and I need some help with his begonias in his greenhouse.There are
about 100 in small 9cm pots.How often should I water them? Do I need to
move them to larger pots? How often should I feed them? He did say to me
a couple of weeks past that the beginias were slow this year.Any help
will be
hugely appreciated.

Take a look at this page and the video, I know it's American but it's good
info and relates to the UK too.
White Flower Farm: The premier American source for plants, shrubs, bulbs, and gardening supplies delivered from our nursery to your home.
There are also other links there for more info.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
Thanks guys for your help. I live a short drive away from my parent's home so its unlikely I can water the plants everyday,probably every couple of days.I used the hose as you suggested today..just a small trickle.That made
things a lot easier.I took a photo too.Will keep you posted
Attached Thumbnails
Begonia care-photo.jpg
Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ELLENM" wrote

"ELLENM" wrote-

-
(http://tinyurl.com/7qe3awz)
There are also other links there for more info.

Thanks guys for your help. I live a short drive away from my parent's
home so its unlikely I can water the plants everyday,probably every
couple of days.I used the hose as you suggested today..just a small
trickle.That made
things a lot easier.I took a photo too.Will keep you posted

Did your Dad show his begonias?
If so they probably came from Blackmore and Langdon...
check out the prices for a little 50p size tuber and do the maths...

http://www.blackmore-langdon.com/category/Begonias

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/06/2012 22:44, Bob Hobden wrote:
"ELLENM" wrote

Bob Hobden Wrote:
"ELLENM" wrote-

[...]

What a strange website. They don't seem to care that the same image is
used for different begonias, or that one of the begonias actually uses a
picture of a delphinium! For the phlox seed page the same picture is
used for all the different seeds on sale.

--

Jeff
Old 04-06-2012, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote ..

Bob Hobden wrote:
http://www.blackmore-langdon.com/category/Begonias

What a strange website. They don't seem to care that the same image is
used for different begonias, or that one of the begonias actually uses a
picture of a delphinium! For the phlox seed page the same picture is used
for all the different seeds on sale.

I think it's new and still under construction.

I have three I bought from them last year... ( I treated myself)
Bernat Klein
Golden Hind (that is the correct photo)
Jean Blair
All are growing again this year but were slow to start compared to some
others I have, but still quicker than my oldest red.

I get the impression they are a very old nursery and are rather laid back
about such modern things. :-)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.