Old 06-06-2012, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is eating my pea plants

"Christina Websell" wrote

Sounds like caterpillars then, semi circles of small chomp marks. It
seems like a good idea to take the netting off to let the birds that eat
caterpilllars eat them.
On the other hand if I take the netting off the pigeons will get the peas.

That sounds like Pea and Bean Weevil. Little semi-circular notches out of
the young leaves lower down, plants eventually out grow the problem if they
survive. We get it here too, unfortunately the stuff I used to use to
control it (gamma-BHC Dust) is no longer available.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 07:52:28 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote

Sounds like caterpillars then, semi circles of small chomp marks. It
seems like a good idea to take the netting off to let the birds that eat
caterpilllars eat them.
On the other hand if I take the netting off the pigeons will get the peas.

That sounds like Pea and Bean Weevil. Little semi-circular notches out of
the young leaves lower down, plants eventually out grow the problem if they
survive. We get it here too, unfortunately the stuff I used to use to
control it (gamma-BHC Dust) is no longer available.

I agree with Bob. I've had damage from pea and bean weevil in the
past, with damage only to the lower leaves. I've never done anything
about it and as the plants grow it's OK.

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Luton[_2_] View Post
The peas (mangetous) that I planted in the allotment didn't seem to
germinate so I put some into containers. They all then germinated so the
allotment got a second row and the excess went into the garden.

The peas in the garden are now flowering despite a dry and shady
location. Those down the allotment seem to have been defoliated apart
from any shoots that made it to 9" above ground level. Can anyone
suggest a culprit ( guessing pigeons but we get those in the garden too)
and how to protect them ?
There are three pests that can eat and destroy the foliage of your pea plant: the bean leaf beetle, Mexican bean beetle and the vegetable leafminer. Both beetles are small insects about 6 mm long with black spots on their body, while the leafminer is a maggot-shaped insect.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote

Sounds like caterpillars then, semi circles of small chomp marks. It
seems like a good idea to take the netting off to let the birds that eat
caterpilllars eat them.
On the other hand if I take the netting off the pigeons will get the
peas.

That sounds like Pea and Bean Weevil. Little semi-circular notches out of
the young leaves lower down, plants eventually out grow the problem if
they
survive. We get it here too, unfortunately the stuff I used to use to
control it (gamma-BHC Dust) is no longer available.

I agree with Bob. I've had damage from pea and bean weevil in the
past, with damage only to the lower leaves. I've never done anything
about it and as the plants grow it's OK.

Pam in Bristol

How peculiar. No veggies have ever been grown on the plot before and I
doubt the neighbours have any as they all have tiny gardens.
Where could the weevils have come from? Do they fly for miles sniffing out
peas and beans? ;-)

Old 06-06-2012, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2012 17:45, Rozia Days wrote:
'Paul Luton[_2_ Wrote:
;960537']The peas (mangetous) that I planted in the allotment didn't
seem to
germinate so I put some into containers. They all then germinated so the

allotment got a second row and the excess went into the garden.

The peas in the garden are now flowering despite a dry and shady
location. Those down the allotment seem to have been defoliated apart
from any shoots that made it to 9" above ground level. Can anyone
suggest a culprit ( guessing pigeons but we get those in the garden too)

and how to protect them ?

There are three pests that can eat and destroy the foliage of your pea
plant: the bean leaf beetle, Mexican bean beetle and the vegetable
leafminer. Both beetles are small insects about 6 mm long with black
spots on their body, while the leafminer is a maggot-shaped insect.

You forget that Elephants are partial to both Pea and Bean plants,
though I expect you'd have noticed the footprints.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

Yes it does sound strange but you said the land was unused, wild even, so
was there any Vetch growing there?

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

No, none. Couchgrass, brambles, nettles, and some bindweed round the edges.
Nothing pealike.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David Hill wrote:
There are three pests that can eat and destroy the foliage of your pea
plant: the bean leaf beetle, Mexican bean beetle and the vegetable
leafminer. Both beetles are small insects about 6 mm long with black
spots on their body, while the leafminer is a maggot-shaped insect.

You forget that Elephants are partial to both Pea and Bean plants,
though I expect you'd have noticed the footprints.

Only if you leave out a plate of butter.

Garden pea plants and white powder Barrier United Kingdom 6 27-07-2014 08:44 AM
Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Standing up pea plants Puckdropper Edible Gardening 0 29-06-2007 03:50 AM
my daughter's pea plants BearDrummer Gardening 1 07-04-2007 05:40 PM
What's eating my plants?/Slugs SugarChile Edible Gardening 0 05-06-2003 12:44 PM