Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is eating my pea plants

The peas (mangetous) that I planted in the allotment didn't seem to
germinate so I put some into containers. They all then germinated so the
allotment got a second row and the excess went into the garden.

The peas in the garden are now flowering despite a dry and shady
location. Those down the allotment seem to have been defoliated apart
from any shoots that made it to 9" above ground level. Can anyone
suggest a culprit ( guessing pigeons but we get those in the garden too)
and how to protect them ?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David Hill wrote:
The peas in the garden are now flowering despite a dry and shady
location. Those down the allotment seem to have been defoliated apart
from any shoots that made it to 9" above ground level. Can anyone
suggest a culprit ( guessing pigeons but we get those in the garden too)
and how to protect them ?

I'd say it's mice.

I didn't think mice went for the leaves. I'd go with pigeons.
Netting is the only way to stop pigeons, and even then they sometimes just
sit on it and peck through. :-(
Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
. uk...
The peas (mangetous) that I planted in the allotment didn't seem to
germinate so I put some into containers. They all then germinated so the
allotment got a second row and the excess went into the garden.

The peas in the garden are now flowering despite a dry and shady location.
Those down the allotment seem to have been defoliated apart from any
shoots that made it to 9" above ground level. Can anyone suggest a culprit
( guessing pigeons but we get those in the garden too) and how to protect
them ?

I'm having the same problem with the peas I've planted on the allotment, but
it cannot be pigeons in my case as they are netted against birds. They were
perfectly OK when I reared them here from seed but when I planted them out
on the lottie, something is chomping them.

Tina

Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote ...

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
.uk...
The peas (mangetous) that I planted in the allotment didn't seem to
germinate so I put some into containers. They all then germinated so the
allotment got a second row and the excess went into the garden.

The peas in the garden are now flowering despite a dry and shady
location. Those down the allotment seem to have been defoliated apart
from any shoots that made it to 9" above ground level. Can anyone suggest
a culprit ( guessing pigeons but we get those in the garden too) and how
to protect them ?

I'm having the same problem with the peas I've planted on the allotment,
but it cannot be pigeons in my case as they are netted against birds. They
were perfectly OK when I reared them here from seed but when I planted them
out on the lottie, something is chomping them.

Probably mice. If there is still any sign of the original pea they will
chomp it off and leave you a felled plant to die.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
The peas in the garden are now flowering despite a dry and shady location.
Those down the allotment seem to have been defoliated apart from any
shoots that made it to 9" above ground level. Can anyone suggest a culprit
( guessing pigeons but we get those in the garden too) and how to protect
them ?

I'm having the same problem with the peas I've planted on the allotment, but
it cannot be pigeons in my case as they are netted against birds. They were
perfectly OK when I reared them here from seed but when I planted them out
on the lottie, something is chomping them.

Having looked at ours, there is definitely a lot more chomping on the mange
tout (all varieties) than the garden peas (all varieties). But the 'tall'
peas (Alderman + something else - meant to grow to 6', but they never seem
to .. but definitely a lot taller than the others!) seem to be a lot less
chomped.

Slugs with vertigo?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote ...

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
t.uk...
[...]

I don't think it's mice, it seems to be just the lower leaves that are
getting very kind of frilled and chomped. As they are starting to get away,
the upper leaves are fine. I grew them in paper pots and just planted them
in them.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

I don't think it's mice, it seems to be just the lower leaves that are
getting very kind of frilled and chomped. As they are starting to get away,
the upper leaves are fine. I grew them in paper pots and just planted them
in them.

Slugs and snails. In this wet year, they have done that to a huge
number of my plants. You need a resident hedgehog.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/06/2012 17:32, Christina Websell wrote:
"Bob wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote ...

"Paul wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Have you ever thought of looking at the bite marks?
Birds will leave a v shaped beak mark
Mice will leave a small pair of tooth marks with a small pointed piece
between the 2 teeth, rabbits will leave a much larger version of mouse
bite mark
Slugs and snails will rasp an area away whilst caterpillars will leave
semi circles of small chomp marks.
David @ the now damp part of Swansea Bay
Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 05/06/2012 17:32, Christina Websell wrote:
"Bob wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote ...

"Paul wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Sounds like caterpillars then, semi circles of small chomp marks. It seems
like a good idea to take the netting off to let the birds that eat
caterpilllars eat them.
On the other hand if I take the netting off the pigeons will get the peas.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David Hill wrote:
Birds will leave a v shaped beak mark

We've got one of those in one of the glass panes at the back of the greenhouse,
I noticed yesterday. :-(
(No sign of a body inside or out, but I guess a cat or something similar will
have had off with it by now)

Garden pea plants and white powder Barrier United Kingdom 6 27-07-2014 08:44 AM
Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Standing up pea plants Puckdropper Edible Gardening 0 29-06-2007 03:50 AM
my daughter's pea plants BearDrummer Gardening 1 07-04-2007 05:40 PM
What's eating my plants?/Slugs SugarChile Edible Gardening 0 05-06-2003 12:44 PM