Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Savoy cabbage

Hi - in my first year of growing veg. Have some savoy cabbage producing
lots of big leaves, but the stalks coming out of the ground are sort of
laying over to the side as if they can't support the weight of the
leaves. And so far no sign of the "hearts" of the cabbage forming. They
were planted mid April. Is the leaning over normal? Should there be
signs of the hearts forming by now?

Thanks

Old 04-06-2012, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JIP" wrote ...

Hi - in my first year of growing veg. Have some savoy cabbage producing
lots of big leaves, but the stalks coming out of the ground are sort of
laying over to the side as if they can't support the weight of the
leaves. And so far no sign of the "hearts" of the cabbage forming. They
were planted mid April. Is the leaning over normal? Should there be
signs of the hearts forming by now?

They normally lean over, do they do summer Savoys these days? I always grow
them for winter veg.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 5:33*pm, "JIP" wrote:
Hi - in my first year of growing veg. Have some savoy cabbage producing
lots of big leaves, but the stalks coming out of the ground are sort of
laying over to the side as if they can't support the weight of the
leaves. And so far no sign of the "hearts" of the cabbage forming. They
were planted mid April. Is the leaning over normal? Should there be
signs of the hearts forming by now?

Thanks

--

You may have cabbage root fly. They bore into the stem just below
ground level.

You need to fit collars round your cabbage when you plant out to
prevent this.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2012 18:16, harry wrote:
On Jun 4, 5:33 pm, wrote:
Hi - in my first year of growing veg. Have some savoy cabbage producing
lots of big leaves, but the stalks coming out of the ground are sort of
laying over to the side as if they can't support the weight of the
leaves. And so far no sign of the "hearts" of the cabbage forming. They
were planted mid April. Is the leaning over normal? Should there be
signs of the hearts forming by now?

Thanks

--

You may have cabbage root fly. They bore into the stem just below
ground level.
Have a scrat around the stem and see what you can see. (Looking for
stem damage)

You need to fit collars round your cabbage when you plant out to
prevent this.

Don't waste money on the expensive shop bought ones. I bought a roll of
the tape that brickies put down as damp course from a builders
merchants, the 112.5 mm (5") is fine. Cut a number 4-6 inch lengths, cut
1/3 way through each piece at the same time cutting a small hole in the
end of the cut. Place two of these opposite each other with the small
hole for the stem. These last a number of years, I still have most of
the roll left.