Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered User

Default Border advice please

I'm looking for an evergreen shrub, scented if possible, that has a maximum height of six feet and does well at an eastern coastal location in the UK.
Low maintenance would be an advantage. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Old 13-06-2012, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mishy" wrote in message
I'm looking for an evergreen shrub, scented if possible, that has a
maximum height of six feet and does well at an eastern coastal
location in the UK.
Low maintenance would be an advantage. Any suggestions much
appreciated.

(Haven't seen any replies to this so maybe it and/or they are examples
that aren't getting out from GBanter to everyone?)

Mishy, your choice depends quite how far north you are, how near to the
sea, and whether strong salty winds are a factor etc. Also whether your
shrub will be in the shade or full sun and what sort of soil conditions
you have. If you're not sure, a nose around local gardens might give you
some ideas but maybe one of these:

Viburnum burkwoodii. It's got lovely scented clusters of white flowers
in spring and is more semi-evergreen really but does well in my Norfolk
garden. I look forward to the scent every spring. It's easily pruned to
keep within bounds and otherwise low maintenance.

Mahonia x media '"Winter Sun" or other named variety. Evergreen, prefers
more shade and again responds well to an occasional cut-back when it
gets leggy.

Escallonias are often recommended for coastal locations. Various
pink/red white varieties. Can be used as hedging, so no problems with
keeping to right size if they get exuberant. Some are described as
having some scent but I'm not sure if any are particularly noted for it.

--
Sue

Old 13-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered User

Thanks Sue for your suggestions. We are in Northern Suffolk. The border is in full sun most of the day and subject to cold salty winds, as we are approx 100m from the beach. Mishy