Old 14-06-2012, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My peas

Are dire. They are only a few inches high and already flowering. I know
they are supposed to be dwarf peas..but this is ridiculous.
Is it too late to sow some more?
They had very bad cold weather and got drowned, then a spell of very hot
weather and then another drowning. Poor things have done well to survive at
all.
Should I pull them out and start again?

Tina

Old 14-06-2012, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Are dire. They are only a few inches high and already flowering. I know
they are supposed to be dwarf peas..but this is ridiculous.
Is it too late to sow some more?
They had very bad cold weather and got drowned, then a spell of very hot
weather and then another drowning. Poor things have done well to survive at
all.
Should I pull them out and start again?

If they're flowering, I don't see the problem. Put some more in as well.
You're meant to successionally sow peas anyhow.
Old 14-06-2012, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
Are dire. They are only a few inches high and already flowering. I know
they are supposed to be dwarf peas..but this is ridiculous.
Is it too late to sow some more?
They had very bad cold weather and got drowned, then a spell of very hot
weather and then another drowning. Poor things have done well to survive
at
all.
Should I pull them out and start again?

If they're flowering, I don't see the problem.

I do.
A three inch high pea plant flowering?

Old 14-06-2012, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Are dire. They are only a few inches high and already flowering. I know
they are supposed to be dwarf peas..but this is ridiculous.
Is it too late to sow some more?
They had very bad cold weather and got drowned, then a spell of very hot
weather and then another drowning. Poor things have done well to survive
at all.
Should I pull them out and start again?

If they're flowering, I don't see the problem.

I do.
A three inch high pea plant flowering?

I'm failing to see the problem. Are they still growing? If you think they
are putting energy into flowers that should be put into growth, nip off the
flowers. Otherwise - are they taking up space you want to put new ones in
or do you have more space? If you have more space, put more in.

Old 14-06-2012, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Are dire. They are only a few inches high and already flowering. I know
they are supposed to be dwarf peas..but this is ridiculous.
Is it too late to sow some more?
They had very bad cold weather and got drowned, then a spell of very hot
weather and then another drowning. Poor things have done well to survive
at all.
Should I pull them out and start again?

Same here Tina. Hot, wet, hot, now drowned. 6" high with pods on. More being
sown as per my normal plan. Just leave them and start more.
Pete C

Old 14-06-2012, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I do see a problem with 3-6 inch high peas flowering.
I think I will have to sow some more.

Old 14-06-2012, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote ...

Are dire. They are only a few inches high and already flowering. I know
they are supposed to be dwarf peas..but this is ridiculous.
Is it too late to sow some more?
They had very bad cold weather and got drowned, then a spell of very hot
weather and then another drowning. Poor things have done well to survive
at all.
Should I pull them out and start again?

The mice ate all ours, all two 20ft rows. So no peas for us this year unless
I plant some earlies in July for a September crop.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-06-2012, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
The mice ate all ours, all two 20ft rows. So no peas for us this year
unless I plant some earlies in July for a September crop.

I'm glad we had our 'feed' of broad beans the other day. The slugs
have devastated the rest of the pods. It's too cold for much to be
growing well at all.

I picked the remaining pods off our Early broad beans, haven't started on the
allotment ones yet. It's been quite nice and warm here today and yesterday,
actually. Still a bit damp and blowy.

Old 15-06-2012, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote ...

Are dire. They are only a few inches high and already flowering. I know
they are supposed to be dwarf peas..but this is ridiculous.
Is it too late to sow some more?
They had very bad cold weather and got drowned, then a spell of very hot
weather and then another drowning. Poor things have done well to survive
at all.
Should I pull them out and start again?

The mice ate all ours, all two 20ft rows. So no peas for us this year
unless I plant some earlies in July for a September crop.
--

Blimey! You must have loads of mice. Does the old idea of soaking them in
paraffin work? ISTR my grandfather used to do that.

Tina

Old 15-06-2012, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Christina Websell" wrote ...

[...]

Obviously we do have a lot of mice, wood mice I think from the tunnels I
find through our soil and from the mice I have seen dart out from under our
cultivator. Tried poison but it does not seem to work on them or I should
say they don't appear to eat it. There is a cat on our site somewhere, we
see him most days we are down there if there are not too many people about.
He looks young and a bit scruffy and is certainly a bit wild but does not
look undernourished. :-)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-06-2012, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Christina Websell" wrote ...

[...]

Do consider it. One cat cannot do the whole allotment site, no wonder the
poor lad looks scruffy, he's so busy trying to do it all he has no time to
groom...
Yes, it would take three weeks or so to habituate an ex-feral to your plot,
but you'd benefit and so would s/he. It would cost around £3/week to feed
and a cat bed in your shed but your mice would be history and the birdies
would be reluctant to attack your crops.