Old 27-06-2012, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anyone had luck with Brussels sprout plants?

wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:05:18 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Jun 26, 6:04 pm, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message

Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a
bit.
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

The bloody pigeons got to ours before we could!

How the hell can I keep the damned pigeons away?

Alan

Bird scarers. EG dangling CD disks.
They have to be changed regularly for something different, they get
used to them. Or lead poison.

Where will I get bird scarers?

And what is lead poison, and how do I use it, and get it?

Alan

There are a number of versions, .177, .22, 410 and 12 gauge. Shotgun
certificates are required for the ownership of the applicators of the
latter.

Silly me, why didn't I realise that is what it meant!

Alan

Old 01-07-2012, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anyone had luck with Brussels sprout plants? - or calabrese

Paul Luton wrote in
news
On 26/06/2012 21:47, wrote:
wrote:
Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a
bit. After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

Mine were looking very sad after I left them way too long in seedling
compost in seed trays. But I've potted them up a little bit into
some more healthy compost, and they're coming on a treat. Still in
the greenhouse at the moment. Nowhere near ready to go into the
ground.

I bought in a few Sprouts plants in the April fine weather and these
are coming on fine. The calabrese that I got at the same time got
eaten by slugs. Growing replacements from seed I found that they
collapsed when in a sunny greenhouse but are now recovering in a
north-facing plastic greenhouse. Is there a temperature problem here ?

I'm not an expert by any means, but it could be ventilation.
Anyhow, should they be outside now?

My once sad brassiccas are showing good signs this last week or so. I am
not confident of anything like a good crop though. But I have been surpised
more than once when things have looked dire.
One thing for sure is that you are not on your own this year, most of us
are struggling.

Best wishes and good luck.
Baz
Old 01-07-2012, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Luton" wrote
vickywrote:
Baz wrote:
Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a bit.
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

Mine were looking very sad after I left them way too long in seedling
compost in seed trays. But I've potted them up a little bit into some
more healthy compost, and they're coming on a treat. Still in the
greenhouse at the moment. Nowhere near ready to go into the ground.

I bought in a few Sprouts plants in the April fine weather and these are
coming on fine. The calabrese that I got at the same time got eaten by
slugs. Growing replacements from seed I found that they collapsed when in a
sunny greenhouse but are now recovering in a north-facing plastic
greenhouse. Is there a temperature problem here ?

With us it's the cabbages (sprouts included) that are growing, the tomatoes,
chillies, butternuts and aubergines are just sitting there and the runner
beans are only just moving up their canes.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.