Old 29-06-2012, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kiwi question!

I have a kiwi plant/vine, have no idea what type as it was one of my
'rescues'. It's been flowering it's socks off and now there seem to be some
tiny fruits. Has anyone got one of these plants to fruit successfully when
they only have one cultivar? Everything I've read says you need at least two
plants of the hardy variety, and this one is hardy having spent the last two
winters outside in a pot.
--

shirley x
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Old 29-06-2012, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2012 13:28, shirleycatuk wrote:
I have a kiwi plant/vine, have no idea what type as it was one of my
'rescues'. It's been flowering it's socks off and now there seem to be
some tiny fruits. Has anyone got one of these plants to fruit
successfully when they only have one cultivar? Everything I've read says
you need at least two plants of the hardy variety, and this one is hardy
having spent the last two winters outside in a pot.

There are one or two hermaphrodite forms around. The usual one is Kiwi
'Jenny'.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 29-06-2012, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 29/06/2012 13:28, shirleycatuk wrote:
I have a kiwi plant/vine, have no idea what type as it was one of my
'rescues'. It's been flowering it's socks off and now there seem to be
some tiny fruits. Has anyone got one of these plants to fruit
successfully when they only have one cultivar? Everything I've read says
you need at least two plants of the hardy variety, and this one is hardy
having spent the last two winters outside in a pot.

There are one or two hermaphrodite forms around. The usual one is Kiwi
'Jenny'.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

Oriental delight is another, I have never been quite sure if the flowers
from the various ornamental sorts would do the job so to speak? The trouble
is if its a plain boy or girl they do take quite a bit of room up.

Incidentally congrats on the flowering, lots of people don't even get that
far.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 29-06-2012, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 29/06/2012 13:28, shirleycatuk wrote:
I have a kiwi plant/vine, have no idea what type as it was one of my
'rescues'. It's been flowering it's socks off and now there seem to be
some tiny fruits. Has anyone got one of these plants to fruit
successfully when they only have one cultivar? Everything I've read says
you need at least two plants of the hardy variety, and this one is hardy
having spent the last two winters outside in a pot.

There are one or two hermaphrodite forms around. The usual one is Kiwi
'Jenny'.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

Thanks Spider, have had a look at some pictures and the leaves on my plant
aren't as rounded as 'Jenny'...they look more like those of 'Arguta'.

Old 29-06-2012, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

shirleycatuk wrote:
I have a kiwi plant/vine, have no idea what type as it was one of my
'rescues'. It's been flowering it's socks off and now there seem to be some
tiny fruits. Has anyone got one of these plants to fruit successfully when
they only have one cultivar? Everything I've read says you need at least two
plants of the hardy variety, and this one is hardy having spent the last two
winters outside in a pot.

We have a Jenny, which apparently is self-fertile. (but we've only had
it for a few months so far!)

Kiwi gender issues Right Star Edible Gardening 5 02-06-2003 04:56 AM
Kiwi? JNJ Gardening 9 27-03-2003 12:44 PM
Re(2): Kiwi plants Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 02-03-2003 09:51 PM
Kiwi plants/clay soil SugarChile Edible Gardening 0 01-03-2003 02:39 PM
Kiwi plants Mark Edible Gardening 18 01-03-2003 09:52 AM