Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Default What's eating my courgettes?

--
Chris
Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

CT wrote:

....nothing!

Oops. Most of my courgettes are getting eaten by something. I
wondered if it was birds but I expected some of the others to maybe
have some beak marks. The flowers are left on the ground and the fruit
has just completely gone.

I've covered them with some fleece so I'm hoping that more will grow
and I will be able to eat some of them myself!

--
Chris
Old 03-07-2012, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CT" wrote ...

CT wrote:

...nothing!

Oops. Most of my courgettes are getting eaten by something. I
wondered if it was birds but I expected some of the others to maybe
have some beak marks. The flowers are left on the ground and the fruit
has just completely gone.

I've covered them with some fleece so I'm hoping that more will grow
and I will be able to eat some of them myself!

Are you certain there was fruit there? I say that as usually the first
flowers on any cucurbit are male.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Bob Hobden wrote:

Are you certain there was fruit there? I say that as usually the
first flowers on any cucurbit are male.

There is some fruit that's OK but there was what looked like a
half-eaten courgette the other day that has now gone completely. There
also appears to be various other damage (e.g. chunks out, snapped off)
to a few of the stems and I saw a Blackbird close-by earlier today, so
I checked all the plants over.

It shouldn't be an issue now anyway because of the fleece so I was just
wondering if they were seen as a juicy snack for the birds or something
else.

Of course, I'm pretty new to this gardening lark and this is the first
year that I've grown veg (apart from toms & potatoes) so it's all a bit
of a learning curve.

--
Chris
Old 04-07-2012, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/07/2012 16:34, CT wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:

Are you certain there was fruit there? I say that as usually the
first flowers on any cucurbit are male.

There is some fruit that's OK but there was what looked like a
half-eaten courgette the other day that has now gone completely. There
also appears to be various other damage (e.g. chunks out, snapped off)
to a few of the stems and I saw a Blackbird close-by earlier today, so
I checked all the plants over.

It shouldn't be an issue now anyway because of the fleece so I was just
wondering if they were seen as a juicy snack for the birds or something
else.

Of course, I'm pretty new to this gardening lark and this is the first
year that I've grown veg (apart from toms & potatoes) so it's all a bit
of a learning curve.

I've grown courgettes for a number of years and never had them eaten, I
cannot think of anything that would. Having said that if it stops
raining and I go out into the garden I bet mine will have been attacked
as well, sods law.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2012 12:32, Moonraker wrote:
On 03/07/2012 16:34, CT wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:

[...]

IU've had them pecked by birds and eaten by slugs.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Moonraker wrote:
I've grown courgettes for a number of years and never had them eaten, I
cannot think of anything that would. Having said that if it stops
raining and I go out into the garden I bet mine will have been attacked
as well, sods law.

I've definitely had slug + snail damage to them before.

I appear to have accidentally* planted a large courgette pot in a flowering
planter bed this year, and it's started to fruit. Probably a bit risky to
try and move it now

* I had it in a pot ont he decking and needed to clear the decking, and
there was a big gap in the planter, so I put it in the gap meaning to
remove it later, then it rained lots and it kind of bedded in, pot and all