Old 10-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Simone

Default Need some advice re shrubs please.

Hello,

I have a strip of garden some 20 metres long and 2 metres wide, I returfed
it last summer but the grass has since died off because the area is in
permenant shade, soil may be or is poor as well.
I have given up on the turf idea and would like some advice on what shrubs I
could plant that will flower in summer and winter and compliment each other,
the only criteria to meet is they must like shade and not need pruning too
often, ground is usually damp

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Simone wrote:

I have a strip of garden some 20 metres long and 2 metres wide, I returfed
it last summer but the grass has since died off because the area is in
permenant shade, soil may be or is poor as well.
I have given up on the turf idea and would like some advice on what shrubs I
could plant that will flower in summer and winter and compliment each other,
the only criteria to meet is they must like shade and not need pruning too
often, ground is usually damp

Again, where are you? If in the south-west (i.e. warm and on acid
soil) camellias could be very good.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Robert

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
: In article ,
: Simone wrote:
:
[...]

Not if it's in total shade, they need sun to make the new buds

Old 10-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Robert wrote:

:
: Again, where are you? If in the south-west (i.e. warm and on acid
: soil) camellias could be very good.

Not if it's in total shade, they need sun to make the new buds

I have a J.C. Williams in a pot in a location where the sun never
reaches (nor even gets close to). It flowers excellently. Camellias
are undershrubs and are happy with shade, provided that it is not too
dense.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Sacha

On 10/2/05 23:02, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Robert wrote:

:
: Again, where are you? If in the south-west (i.e. warm and on acid
: soil) camellias could be very good.

Not if it's in total shade, they need sun to make the new buds

I have a J.C. Williams in a pot in a location where the sun never
reaches (nor even gets close to). It flowers excellently. Camellias
are undershrubs and are happy with shade, provided that it is not too
dense.

I think they often look best in just such a dappled woodland setting.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Robert

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
: In article ,
: Robert wrote:
:
: :
: : Again, where are you? If in the south-west (i.e. warm and on acid
: : soil) camellias could be very good.
:
: Not if it's in total shade, they need sun to make the new buds
:
: I have a J.C. Williams in a pot in a location where the sun never
: reaches (nor even gets close to). It flowers excellently. Camellias
: are undershrubs and are happy with shade, provided that it is not too
: dense.
:
:
: Regards,
: Nick Maclaren.

Well you learn something everyday, that is useful. I have many camellias but
have sun on all of them and the textbooks say they must have some, but as
usual gardening is not an exact science, thank goodness

Old 11-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Robert" writes:

| Well you learn something everyday, that is useful. I have many camellias but
| have sun on all of them and the textbooks say they must have some, but as
| usual gardening is not an exact science, thank goodness

What I think is probably true is that they don't like deep shade.
Too many books refer to sun when they mean light. Many plants
need direct sun in the UK, but those typically need as much as
they can get, and then more.

Where I have my pot is open to the sky in a fairly narrow band
stretching from overhead towards the west. It is probably
comparable in light levels to that under a light canopy (say,
beech), and considerably better than that under a heavy one.

All of the shade lovers that I know of are equally happy with a
sunless position open to much of the sky and dappled shade. No
photosynthesising plants like full shade in the UK, though some
are happy with light only some of the year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:24 AM
Robert

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
: The message
: from "Robert" contains these words:
:
:
: "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
: ...
: : In article ,
: : Robert wrote:
: :
: : :
[...]
: Keep an eye out for a post from Rod with his website url..fabulous
: camellia garden in woodland and glades.
:
: Janet

I am lucky to live close to the National Camellia Collection and they are
coming up to their prime soon. Mt Edgcumbe Country Park, t'other side of the
water in South East Cornwall