Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another plant mystery

At my aunt's grave today I saw a plant that was growing over her stone
at first I thought "yes that looks nice" but on reflection not too
sure about it. Does anyone know what it is, and is it likely to
have been planted there or is it a 'weed' and no one's nose would
be put out of joint if I removed it.

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/unknown13316184787.jpg
Old 05-07-2012, 07:35 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
On 2012-07-04 20:09:47 +0100, soup said:

At my aunt's grave today I saw a plant that was growing over her stone
at first I thought "yes that looks nice" but on reflection not too
sure about it. Does anyone know what it is, and is it likely to
have been planted there or is it a 'weed' and no one's nose would
be put out of joint if I removed it.

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/unknown13316184787.jpg

Alchemilla mollis aka Lady's Mantle is a very desirableand popular
garden plant. But it seeds itself freely and spreads energetically.
Don't kill it off but when it's finished flowering, cut it well back,
leaving a few stems for next year. It will soon fill in again.
Someone has almost certainly planted it deliberately, given its
position on her stone or it may have wandered over from the stone
adjacent to hers.
It depends where you are in the country. If you are in Yorkshire or Lancashire, it is highly likely that, although a garden plant, it self seeded itself (and I notice there is a young seedling in the photo) - in this area it grows vigorously enough to be invasive.

Don't whatever you do let it seed. Cut the flowering stems back sooner rather than later. And it won't hurt the plant to cut it back to reveal more of the stone.