Old 12-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Philippe Gautier

Default another mystery plant

Hi, A friend receive these young plants (house plants?):

http://www.gogo.me.uk/temp/mystery_plant.html

Sorry the thumbnails are all screwed up but the actual images (when you
click on the thumbnail) look fine.
he was told it was some sort of ornemental cucurbitacae (squash,
pumpkin,...). But I really don't think so. At first it looked to me like
plants of the Solanacae family. Now, they start growing these big thorns
on the surface of the leaves. Possibly Datura? Any one has seen that before?

Many thanks for all suggestions.

Philippe
Old 12-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Bob Hobden

"Philippe Gautier" wrote in message
Hi, A friend receive these young plants (house plants?):

http://www.gogo.me.uk/temp/mystery_plant.html

Sorry the thumbnails are all screwed up but the actual images (when you
click on the thumbnail) look fine.
he was told it was some sort of ornemental cucurbitacae (squash,
pumpkin,...). But I really don't think so. At first it looked to me like
plants of the Solanacae family. Now, they start growing these big thorns
on the surface of the leaves. Possibly Datura? Any one has seen that

before?

Take a look at...
http://www.viridis.net/plants/datura_str.html or those on

http://www.bioimages.org.uk/html/R153693.HTM

And I agree the leaves do look more Datura like than what you were told they
were.
--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Hope you like them.

Old 12-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Philippe Gautier Philippe.
writes
Hi, A friend receive these young plants (house plants?):

http://www.gogo.me.uk/temp/mystery_plant.html

Sorry the thumbnails are all screwed up but the actual images (when you
click on the thumbnail) look fine.
he was told it was some sort of ornemental cucurbitacae (squash,
pumpkin,...). But I really don't think so. At first it looked to me like
plants of the Solanacae family. Now, they start growing these big thorns
on the surface of the leaves. Possibly Datura? Any one has seen that before?

Reminiscent of thornapple Datura stramonium (which is of course in the
Solanaceae) though I'm not completely sure whether that has spines. You
won't get a conclusive answer till it flowers.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 12-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Brian

I would agree~ Brugmansia [Datura]. They do have spines and are very
poisonous but this is often exaggerated. Expect trumpet flowers if we are
correct.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:20 PM
David Hill

They remind me a little of Aubergines.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 12-05-2004, 11:30 PM
Bob Hobden

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
They remind me a little of Aubergines.

How right you are. I knew I'd grown similar before, however these leaves
look a bit too glossy green to me and more like the Thornapple I posted the
URL of.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Hope you like them.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David Hill david@abacusn
urseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
They remind me a little of Aubergines.

You're right in leaf shape and colour, and aubergine leaves have little
purple spines on them, but the leaves are softer. These are shine
leaves, which is why they reminded me of Thornapple. One thing we all
seem agreed on, including the OP, is that it is a member of the
Solanaceae!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 13-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Philippe Gautier

Kay Easton wrote:
In article , David Hill david@abacusn
urseries.freeserve.co.uk writes

They remind me a little of Aubergines.

You're right in leaf shape and colour, and aubergine leaves have little
purple spines on them, but the leaves are softer. These are shine
leaves, which is why they reminded me of Thornapple. One thing we all
seem agreed on, including the OP, is that it is a member of the
Solanaceae!

Thanks everybody for the suggestions... I guess we'll have to wait for
the flowers to know for sure. At least, I know now that my original idea
was not widely wrong and can tell my friend he should definitely not
hope for some sort of pumpkins!

Philippe