Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Zo Zo is offline

Default Lichen

Hi there.

My garden used to be a pretty easy going plot but this last year I'm over
run with lichen in most of the borders. It's growing between practically
every plant now, despite me scraping the soil off to the depth of two inches
or more in some places.

It begins as a greasy looking black slick and then turns into a bright gren
lichen (not the yellow/white stuff you get on patios)

Is there any product on the market that I can use that will kick it into
touch without damaging the many plants that are surrounded by it now?

Many thanks in advance.

Zo

Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Zo" wrote in message
Hi there.

My garden used to be a pretty easy going plot but this last year I'm over
run with lichen in most of the borders. It's growing between practically
every plant now, despite me scraping the soil off to the depth of two
inches or more in some places.

It begins as a greasy looking black slick and then turns into a bright
gren lichen (not the yellow/white stuff you get on patios)

Is there any product on the market that I can use that will kick it into
touch without damaging the many plants that are surrounded by it now?

Many thanks in advance.

Zo

Its not Lichen but rather Liverwort, it does no harm and in normal summers
will dry up and disappear, if however you are dead set on getting rid of it
you must change the soils drainage as the spores are present in the air all
the time so killing it is pointless as if the soil conditions are good for
it it will be back very quickly.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Zo Zo is offline

"Zo" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Charlie - it is indeed Liverwort. Not something I'm familiar with, so
assumed it was lichen. If it does no harm I'll just sit and wait for a hot
dry summer....... I may be some time ;o)

Thanks again .

Zo

Old 06-07-2012, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/07/2012 11:56, Zo wrote:
Hi there.

My garden used to be a pretty easy going plot but this last year I'm
over run with lichen in most of the borders. It's growing between
practically every plant now, despite me scraping the soil off to the
depth of two inches or more in some places.

It begins as a greasy looking black slick and then turns into a bright
gren lichen (not the yellow/white stuff you get on patios)

It isn't a lichen then. More likely a slime mould and/or liverwort. They
appear when the ground is completely sodden with water and stays
permanently damp. Drought will see them off.

Is there any product on the market that I can use that will kick it into
touch without damaging the many plants that are surrounded by it now?

Many thanks in advance.

You could try lawn sand on it which selectively damages primitive plants
chlorophyll but I don't hold out much hope. At the moment just be glad
that your plants are not floating away. Yesterday travelling in North
Yorkshire I went through a village with inches of water on the road
where everyone was standing outside in the rain. It only became clear
towards the end that this was because their houses were lower than the
road and a river of mud was running out of their front doors.

Today is supposed to be even worse with an amber alert. It is very dark.
Under these conditions moisture loving plants have the upper hand.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 06-07-2012, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Zo Zo is offline

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

It isn't a lichen then. More likely a slime mould and/or liverwort. They
appear when the ground is completely sodden with water and stays
permanently damp. Drought will see them off.
You could try lawn sand on it which selectively damages primitive plants
chlorophyll but I don't hold out much hope. At the moment just be glad
that your plants are not floating away.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Erm, I am glad Martin...............but I think it's only the Liverwort that
is holding them down! ;o)
Much more rain and they will be floating off into the sunset without a bye
or leave I can assure you. (

Zo