Old 08-07-2012, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default under developed garlic

All the top growth has died off, but the bulbs are very small. Am I right in
thinking they won't get any bigger if left in the ground?
Thanks
Pete C

Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
All the top growth has died off, but the bulbs are very small. Am I right
in thinking they won't get any bigger if left in the ground?
Thanks
Pete C

Sadly, yes. Mine are looking very yellow at the mo and I'll have them up
next visit. The ground is very waterlogged and lots of stuff is not up to
scratch, this is going to be a very poor year.

Steve

Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote

All the top growth has died off, but the bulbs are very small. Am I right
in thinking they won't get any bigger if left in the ground?

Yes, without the green tops to provide food they cannot get bigger. We have
had a good crop of Garlic this year despite losing some to White Rot and the
heads are a reasonable size, bigger than supermarket size although not as
big as usual, despite getting bad rust late on. When did you plant yours?
What varieties did you grow?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote

All the top growth has died off, but the bulbs are very small. Am I right
in thinking they won't get any bigger if left in the ground?

Yes, without the green tops to provide food they cannot get bigger. We
have had a good crop of Garlic this year despite losing some to White Rot
and the heads are a reasonable size, bigger than supermarket size although
not as big as usual, despite getting bad rust late on. When did you plant
yours? What varieties did you grow?

Lautrec Wight. Sown November. Always done well before. A flooded plot (part)
has meant I've lost two plantings of runners, peas and broad beans. Going to
be a lean harvest this year

Pete C

Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 12:35:08 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message
All the top growth has died off, but the bulbs are very small. Am I right
in thinking they won't get any bigger if left in the ground?
Thanks
Pete C

Sadly, yes. Mine are looking very yellow at the mo and I'll have them up
next visit. The ground is very waterlogged and lots of stuff is not up to
scratch, this is going to be a very poor year.

Steve

My Solent White are variable. Some are a decent size, others not.
Tuscany White was very small and has gone on the compost heap. I have
more planted in pots and I'm waiting to see if they are an
improvement. I also planted Marco. Even the tops look disappointing.

Regards
JonH

Old 08-07-2012, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pete C wrote:
All the top growth has died off, but the bulbs are very small. Am I right in
thinking they won't get any bigger if left in the ground?

If the green has gone, I doubt there's anything to suck energy in.
My garlic all got rust, but pulling it up and 90% of it has formed good
bulbs this year, which is better than normal.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote .

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Pete C" wrote

All the top growth has died off, but the bulbs are very small. Am I right
in thinking they won't get any bigger if left in the ground?

Yes, without the green tops to provide food they cannot get bigger. We
have had a good crop of Garlic this year despite losing some to White Rot
and the heads are a reasonable size, bigger than supermarket size
although not as big as usual, despite getting bad rust late on. When did
you plant yours? What varieties did you grow?

Lautrec Wight. Sown November. Always done well before. A flooded plot
(part) has meant I've lost two plantings of runners, peas and broad beans.
Going to be a lean harvest this year

Being on acid soil we found that anything from the chalky Isle of Wight
didn't do well for us so avoid anything with Wight in it's name. Is November
early enough for it to grow at least 6 inches high before winter sets in, we
plant in late Sept or Oct. Did you plant it deep enough, completely covered,
an inch or two down.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote .

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Pete C" wrote

Being on acid soil we found that anything from the chalky Isle of Wight
didn't do well for us so avoid anything with Wight in it's name. Is
November early enough for it to grow at least 6 inches high before winter
sets in, we plant in late Sept or Oct. Did you plant it deep enough,
completely covered, an inch or two down.

I guess they were planted about an inch down. Maybe it was a bit late, but
'winter' never really happened. Interesting point about chalk. My soil is
slightly acid clay. I'll bear that in mind
Pete C

Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
"Pete C" wrote .

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Pete C" wrote

Being on acid soil we found that anything from the chalky Isle of Wight
didn't do well for us so avoid anything with Wight in it's name. Is
November early enough for it to grow at least 6 inches high before winter
sets in, we plant in late Sept or Oct. Did you plant it deep enough,
completely covered, an inch or two down.

I guess they were planted about an inch down. Maybe it was a bit late, but
'winter' never really happened. Interesting point about chalk. My soil is
slightly acid clay. I'll bear that in mind

The best varieties we have found for us on our acid soil are Thermidrome and
Germidour.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C[_3_] View Post
All the top growth has died off, but the bulbs are very small. Am I right in
thinking they won't get any bigger if left in the ground?
Thanks
Pete C
They will get bigger if left in the ground, but not this summer. You will have to leave them for another 12 months to get bigger ones.