Old 12-07-2012, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato Blight

Looks like it's arrived in Hillingdon. I guess that determines what I
will be doing tomorrow with my First Earlies (Sharps Express). My
Caras (which I chose because of their Blight resistance so far look
healthy.

Damnit
JonH
Old 15-07-2012, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 00:26:50 GMT, Baz wrote:

wrote in news:8jrtv7ddk9h5k9pi5bh6p6e1r77d2ej2m3@
4ax.com:

Looks like it's arrived in Hillingdon. I guess that determines what I
will be doing tomorrow with my First Earlies (Sharps Express). My
Caras (which I chose because of their Blight resistance so far look
healthy.

Damnit
JonH

I think blight has hit most, if not all areas. We just have to grin and
bear it i'm afraid this year. It's not just you, you havn't done anything
wrong.

Baz

Indeed. The Caras have also got it but not so badly but they will
also have to be culled.

Clearing the tops of the first earlies cleared up the question about
what was eating the foliage. A whole host of slugs and snails. I've
never seen so many varieties in the same place. This is going to cost
an arm and a leg in slug pellets.

On the bright side, I will have space to plant out some other things
that I've got hidden away in pots. And it isn't too late for French
Beans.

Regards
JonH
Old 15-07-2012, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Looks like it's arrived in Hillingdon. I guess that determines what I
will be doing tomorrow with my First Earlies (Sharps Express). My
Caras (which I chose because of their Blight resistance so far look
healthy.

I think blight has hit most, if not all areas. We just have to grin and
bear it i'm afraid this year. It's not just you, you havn't done anything
wrong.

Oddly, all of the potatoes on the allotment seem to have blight, but the
tomatoes, which normally go first, are all up still (not mine, I'm too
nervous to put mine out and they are still hiding in pots in the greenhouse!)
Old 15-07-2012, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote

Baz wrote:
Looks like it's arrived in Hillingdon. I guess that determines what I
will be doing tomorrow with my First Earlies (Sharps Express). My
Caras (which I chose because of their Blight resistance so far look
healthy.

I think blight has hit most, if not all areas. We just have to grin and
bear it i'm afraid this year. It's not just you, you havn't done anything
wrong.

Oddly, all of the potatoes on the allotment seem to have blight, but the
tomatoes, which normally go first, are all up still (not mine, I'm too
nervous to put mine out and they are still hiding in pots in the
greenhouse!)

Yes, that is what has happened to us. Yet I noticed one of the new allotment
gardeners has had half of her Toms destroyed. I sprayed the rest with BM for
her so here's hoping it stops it spreading to the rest.
Is this yet another new strain of blight, because it's usually the Toms that
go first IME.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-07-2012, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Oddly, all of the potatoes on the allotment seem to have blight, but the
tomatoes, which normally go first, are all up still (not mine, I'm too
nervous to put mine out and they are still hiding in pots in the
greenhouse!)

Yes, that is what has happened to us. Yet I noticed one of the new allotment
gardeners has had half of her Toms destroyed. I sprayed the rest with BM for
her so here's hoping it stops it spreading to the rest.
Is this yet another new strain of blight, because it's usually the Toms that
go first IME.

Could just be that everyone has started using blight-resistant tomatoes.
Asked one guy and he said he took seeds from something on the allotment
last year, so if it survived last year and came true this year, it may
well be a havily blight-resistant.

My allotment-strain is Harbinger, which I /think/ is resistant, but not
strongly resistant, iirc.
Old 15-07-2012, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Looks like it's arrived in Hillingdon. I guess that determines what I
will be doing tomorrow with my First Earlies (Sharps Express). My
Caras (which I chose because of their Blight resistance so far look
healthy.

Damnit
JonH

I took the tops off the earlies that were affected, just a few only up to
now and left the healthy ones. I took the haulms home and they are in the
woodburner waiting to dry out a bit so they can be incinerated.
I haven't grown potatoes for years and I never had blight so I don't know if
I've made a bad decision by not digging all the earlies up even though many
of them don't seem to be affected - yet. I don't want the blight to spread
to the maincrop.
I am so glad I signed up to Bligh****ch. I got another warning by text
from them yesterday and it makes me travel a mile and a half to check my
potatoes.

Old 15-07-2012, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

I hate to spoil the party but the allotment gardener with 6 allotments who
uses various sprays has got blight on his blight resistant tomatoes. Also
noticed some of ours are looking like they are succumbing too despite being
sprayed with Bordeaux Mixture and being totally resistant in the past. This
has got to be something new, a new strain.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-07-2012, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

All the allotments around where I live in County Durham seem to have very
poor crops this year of potatoes, peas, cabbage etc.

I grow my potatoes in plastic boxes and flower buickets, anything I can get
my hands on really, in my back yard. Already had 2 allotment holders tell me
that it looks like I have good crops. Here's hoping. Just hope the local
light fingered brigade don't harvest them one night before I get to them.
Jim G