Old 17-07-2012, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree guards

Once more all our cherries have been taken from our 4 trees. They are well
netted so it cannot be birds and this years rain has proved that it's not
two legged thieves, no footprints in the mud. So it has to be the mice that
plague our allotment (Wood Mice?) Does anyone know of anything we can put
around the trunks of our trees that will stop them climbing up to get the
fruit?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 17-07-2012, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Once more all our cherries have been taken from our 4 trees. They are well
netted so it cannot be birds and this years rain has proved that it's not
two legged thieves, no footprints in the mud.

Ours went too, pigeons sat on top and pecked through the net, but I think
I blame squirrels.

No help with your request though, I'm afraid. But at least we're all in
the same boat. :-(
Old 17-07-2012, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/07/2012 08:23, Bob Hobden wrote:
Once more all our cherries have been taken from our 4 trees. They are
well netted so it cannot be birds and this years rain has proved that
it's not two legged thieves, no footprints in the mud. So it has to be
the mice that plague our allotment (Wood Mice?) Does anyone know of
anything we can put around the trunks of our trees that will stop them
climbing up to get the fruit?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

I don't know the solution, Bob, but I think the culprit may be squirrels
rather than mice. They certainly take all my plums before they're even
ripe.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 17-07-2012, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Once more all our cherries have been taken from our 4 trees. They are
well netted so it cannot be birds and this years rain has proved that
it's not two legged thieves, no footprints in the mud. So it has to be
the mice that plague our allotment (Wood Mice?) Does anyone know of
anything we can put around the trunks of our trees that will stop them
climbing up to get the fruit?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Apart from a grease band I have no answer.
Blackfly have done more damage to my 2.

Baz
Old 17-07-2012, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Once more all our cherries have been taken from our 4 trees. They are well
netted so it cannot be birds and this years rain has proved that it's not
two legged thieves, no footprints in the mud. So it has to be the mice
that plague our allotment (Wood Mice?) Does anyone know of anything we can
put around the trunks of our trees that will stop them climbing up to get
the fruit?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

What about the collars they use for dogs and cats to stop them scratching
after an accident.

Would have thought it was squirrels not mice though

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 17-07-2012, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
Once more all our cherries have been taken from our 4 trees. They are
well netted so it cannot be birds and this years rain has proved that
it's not two legged thieves, no footprints in the mud. So it has to be
the mice that plague our allotment (Wood Mice?) Does anyone know of
anything we can put around the trunks of our trees that will stop them
climbing up to get the fruit?

What about the collars they use for dogs and cats to stop them scratching
after an accident.

Would have thought it was squirrels not mice though

That's a good idea, I actually saw a strimmer guard for trees that was the
same shape, would be worth investigating. Never ever seen a squirrel on our
allotment site even over by the river where there are a few large trees, I
also wonder how they could get in our nets without ripping the nets or
getting trapped.
We have a problem with ground living mice on our allotment, holes
everywhere, I've tried killing them with poison but to no avail, the two
cats and a fox that have appeared on our site recently have not helped so
far, so now the only way is mechanical protection (for next year!).
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-07-2012, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
What about the collars they use for dogs and cats to stop them
scratching after an accident.

Difficult to get the mice to stay still long enough to fit them, I
suspect.

--
regards andyw
Old 18-07-2012, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news wrote in
news
In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
What about the collars they use for dogs and cats to stop them
scratching after an accident.

Difficult to get the mice to stay still long enough to fit them, I
suspect.

Even more difficult to fit a saddle