Old 21-07-2012, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT. Text-enhance

I don't know if anyone else is fed up with looking at sites and as you move
the mouse over the site suddenly another little window opens offering all
sorts of non-relevant offers. Having got fed up with it annoying me I found
out that if you go to the site http://text-enhance.com/ you can opt out.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-07-2012, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

I don't know if anyone else is fed up with looking at sites and as you move
the mouse over the site suddenly another little window opens offering all
sorts of non-relevant offers. Having got fed up with it annoying me I found
out that if you go to the site http://text-enhance.com/ you can opt out.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Many thanks Bob, it was getting me annoyed too !
I have opted out now and a quick test indicates success.

I just wonder how it got here in the first place ?

Regards
Pete

Old 21-07-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/07/2012 11:07, Bob Hobden wrote:
I don't know if anyone else is fed up with looking at sites and as you move
the mouse over the site suddenly another little window opens offering all
sorts of non-relevant offers. Having got fed up with it annoying me I found
out that if you go to the site http://text-enhance.com/ you can opt out.

I wondered what you were referring to, as NoScript stops that happening
anyway!

--

Jeff

Old 21-07-2012, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

I don't know if anyone else is fed up with looking at sites and as you move
the mouse over the site suddenly another little window opens offering all
sorts of non-relevant offers. Having got fed up with it annoying me I found
out that if you go to the site
http://text-enhance.com/ you can opt out.

WARNING

I use a web rating plug in from Avast anti-virus, and the page comes up
with a bad rating, based on many users votes.

Not sure what the problem is, I many have a browse later on, but BEWARE!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 21-07-2012, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

, Jeff Layman wrote:

, Bob Hobden wrote:
I don't know if anyone else is fed up with looking at sites and as you
move
the mouse over the site suddenly another little window opens offering
all
sorts of non-relevant offers. Having got fed up with it annoying me I
found
out that if you go to the site http://text-enhance.com/ you can opt
out.

I wondered what you were referring to, as NoScript stops that happening
anyway!

Adblock+ does something similar. I never see pop-up ads.

I've got "popup blocker" on for both IE and Crome but these are not normal
popups.

Try opening this site and running your mouse over the underlined text, see
if you get little windows opening.
http://www.guyershouse.com/
This is one I remember of a number I've found this these annoying little
windows on.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-07-2012, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote...

BobH says...

I don't know if anyone else is fed up with looking at sites and as you
move
the mouse over the site suddenly another little window opens offering all
sorts of non-relevant offers. Having got fed up with it annoying me I
found
out that if you go to the site http://text-enhance.com/ you can opt out.

WARNING

I use a web rating plug in from Avast anti-virus, and the page comes up
with a bad rating, based on many users votes.

Not sure what the problem is, I many have a browse later on, but BEWARE!

I've got McAfee site adviser and nothing shows, I would not have posted a
link if I thought there was a problem with the site. Going to the site,
clicking on "Support" and you can op out of these new type adverts, seems to
work, has for me (after a hour or so) or I wouldn't have mentioned it. The
only problem is the op-out is a cookie so if you delete all cookies you will
effectively op in again.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-07-2012, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 21/07/2012 11:07, Bob Hobden wrote:
I don't know if anyone else is fed up with looking at sites and as you
move
the mouse over the site suddenly another little window opens offering all
sorts of non-relevant offers. Having got fed up with it annoying me I
found
out that if you go to the site http://text-enhance.com/ you can opt out.

I wondered what you were referring to, as NoScript stops that happening
anyway!

--

No prob here either.

Jeff

Old 22-07-2012, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/07/2012 21:49, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 21:23:54 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

, Jeff Layman wrote:

, Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Er...I see no underlined text, other than the usual sort of link e.g.
click _here_ for more information, and a couple or three pictures down
the side advertising restaurant/wedding/accommodation/conference
offers, Christmas and a sports car weekend. Certainly nothing that
pops up. I'm using Firefox.

I also only see _here_ underlined. Nothing happens when I roll over it
even with NoScript and Adblock Plus disabled.

For me, the link in the OP is not stopped by Adblock, but is stopped by
NoScript (FF14.0.1). For the rollover to work, both text-enhance.com
and jquery.com need to be allowed.

--

Jeff

Old 22-07-2012, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

, Jeff Layman wrote:

, Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Nothing here Bob, no underlined text or pop ups, I am using IE but do not
have pop ups blocked as doing that interferes with my mail order carriers
site. so I do get annoying adds on some sites.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 23-07-2012, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/07/2012 22:30, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Roger Tonkin" wrote...

BobH says...

[...]

McAfee SiteAdvisor is rubbish. I got an email from several of my
customers saying McAfee SiteAdvisor was flagging my website as
malicious. I was horrified and on further investigation and
correspondence with McAfee they acknowledged they had made a mistake and
changed my site rating to 'minimal risk'. No apology, no explanation why
they made the mistake. I have lost sales due to their incompetence. If I
had the money I'd sue the incompetent sods.

Old 23-07-2012, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
am says...

[...]

Had a google, and text-enhance does not seem very popular, with many
people calling it a virus. Lots of advice on how to remove it as well.

Below is a typical post!

Annoying with Text-enhance.com Virus?
Text-enhance.com has been known as a browser hijacker which is able to
take control of your web browsers and all kinds of search engines.
Actually, this Text-enhance.com virus is not the latest infection but it
still affected computer users all day round. This hijacker is somehow
looks like Partner37.Mydomainadvisor.com which also came out long time
ago. They can infect a system badly if users didn't remove them
completely. However, it is really frustrating when users find this Text-
enhance.com virus cannot be removed by any legit anti-virus programs.
And Text-enhance.com is able to cause many other problems on the
infected computer which may finally crash down your system. There are
too many removal guides online now, but lots of them are recommending to
use a legit removal tool. But to be frank, the most useful and effective
way to remove this Text-enhance.com virus is by manual approach with
expert skils. For many hijacker like Text-enhance.com is able to mutate
fast. so it is difficult to be removed completely by the removal tools.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 23-07-2012, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/2012 21:43, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
am says...

[...]

Sounds like McAfee SiteAdvisor misses sites with real virus issues and
malware and flags sites that are clean as being malicious. What do they
do? Toss a coin?

Old 24-07-2012, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

[...]

A friend has now mailed me this.....

Text Enhance is Malware as opposed to a virus as such, what it actually is,
is an add-on to your browser which then creates these pop up boxes when you
hover over certain text.
It is nothing to do with the sites you're visiting, it's on your computer.

Here is a good article on what it is and how to remove it:

http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-text-enhance/

It appears then that this gets past McAfee and Defender!
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-07-2012, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Roger Tonkin" wrote

[...]

But not AVG as I had never heard of it!

Old 25-07-2012, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

I don't know if anyone else is fed up with looking at sites and as you
move the mouse over the site suddenly another little window opens
offering all sorts of non-relevant offers. Having got fed up with it
annoying me I found out that if you go to the site
http://text-enhance.com/ you can opt out.

Surely your anti-virus proggy has a tool! Maybe you have overlooked it.
Have not had that nonsense for years.

Baz