Old 26-07-2012, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This years fruit performance.

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

I don't know if it can be blamed on the weather but here's my report:

Pear trees (2): Hardly any pears
Plum trees (3): Hardly any plums
Apples: Doing okay
Red currants: Much reduced crop
Strawberries: Disappointing, down by a half.

Slugs: bumper crop!

Anybody else experiencing similar?

mark

No fruit trees in my garden but next door's Plum, Apple and Cherry trees are
quite bare of fruit.
In my garden: Raspberries, now fruiting well after a slow start.
Blackberry (only one bush), very promising for a bumper crop with lots of
unripe fruit and loads more flower buds still to open
Loganberry, it's best year so far but not really worth the bother.
Rhubarb, both plants doing really well, shall start freezing it as I'm a bit
fed up with crumble now, lol!
Kiwi, has lots of fruit but I'm not sure if they will ripen because
according to everything I've read about growing them I'm doing everything
wrong!!!
Blueberry, absolutely nothing this year.
Tomatoes, very poor about ten fruit on 24 plants though the greenhouse ones
are doing better now.

Slugs and snails, bl**dy millions of them, they've demolished my Beans and
Broccoli, a couple of Dahlias, nearly all the French Marigolds I planted and
my Hostas have more holes in their leaves than a colander....despite my
resorting to using slug pellets and doing daily 'collections' of the slimy
creatures.

--

Shirley x
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Old 01-08-2012, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/25/2012 10:37 AM, David Rance wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 mark wrote:

I don't know if it can be blamed on the weather but here's my report:

Pear trees (2): Hardly any pears

Ditto.

Here too.

Plum trees (3): Hardly any plums

Ditto but the greengages are doing all right. And last year I missed the
crop through it ripening a good two to three weeks early.

We got no greengages and no mirabelles. There will be a few purples but
not many.

Cherries: very little

None on 3 trees (all different maturing).

Apples: Doing okay

We have a few but most trees are barren. The best is "Reinette Blanche
d'Espagne" an heritage dessert variety.

A lot of my eating apples are rotting on the trees. Haven't checked the
cider apples yet.

Red currants: Much reduced crop

Ditto - and the birds have stripped what there was. Strange, because
they normally leave them alone in my garden.

Got a few red and black, but very reduced.

Blackcurrants and gooseberries have done well even though the bushes are
young.

Only a few gogs.

Strawberries: Disappointing, down by a half.

Alpines have done extremely well.

None for us.

I have a twenty-year-old black mulberry. For the first time most of the
fruit withered instead of developing.

Slugs: bumper crop!

Ditto. Some VERY large ones seen! Which reminds me, we've seen thrushes
for the first time in a few years attacking the snails.

Ditto again. We have never seen so many slugs and snails.

For other fruit, the early raspberries were OK, if somewhat rotten (lots
of triage required) but the lates aren't setting well.

Strangely it will be a good year for peaches if we get some heat to
ripen them. Lots of cob nuts too although whether the quality and size
is good remains to be seen.

-E