Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Blackberry pie

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Weird, I've never had blackberries do that. To the point where I don't pick
blackberries much any more cos it annoys me so much.

How on earth do you pick them Vicky? If they are ripe then they come
away from their stem in fact you'd have to grasp the stem and the
prickles if you wanted to get the stem as well!!

Blackberries need very little preparation in my experience.

I think we're talking cross purposes. I do not get 'stem'. I sometimes
get the leafy bit at the outside of the top of the 'berry', and I always
get a chewy core bit - unlike raspberries, which come away 'hollow'.
I am not talking about eating a tree here, just that they aren't 'cored'
like raspberries are.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Aug 2012 12:54:48 GMT, wrote:

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Weird, I've never had blackberries do that. To the point where I don't pick
blackberries much any more cos it annoys me so much.

How on earth do you pick them Vicky? If they are ripe then they come
away from their stem in fact you'd have to grasp the stem and the
prickles if you wanted to get the stem as well!!

Blackberries need very little preparation in my experience.

I think we're talking cross purposes. I do not get 'stem'. I sometimes
get the leafy bit at the outside of the top of the 'berry', and I always
get a chewy core bit - unlike raspberries, which come away 'hollow'.
I am not talking about eating a tree here, just that they aren't 'cored'
like raspberries are.

When I pick blackberries or loganberries I never eat or keep them
unless the centre "core" is clean and white. Then I can be fairly
sure there are no bugs. With poor sight it's a worry!!!
Have you noticed that strawberries these days don't come clean off the
stalks as they used to do. I always have to cut off the stalk end
with a bit of fruit wasted! I think they've been bred like this for
better travel and keeping.
BTW I'm picking wonderful blueberries now, best crop ever.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

Should have said - also sprinkle some flour on top of the pastry ;ump to
stop it sticking to your rolling pin. Sorry if it's stating the obvious
- wasn't sure whether you just didn't do puddings, or whether you didn't
do any form of pie.

Followed instructions. Added some apple. Scrumptious!! Thank you )
Pete C

Joe Pie Weed Foxfield United Kingdom 7 21-09-2005 11:01 PM
Pumpkin Pie Rodger Whitlock United Kingdom 17 13-03-2005 08:09 PM
Pie cherry tree problems...no fruit dstvns Gardening 9 20-07-2003 11:12 PM
Pie cherry tree problems...no fruit J. Lane Edible Gardening 3 20-07-2003 11:04 PM
robins and cow pie buffets madgard Gardening 2 10-02-2003 04:25 AM