Old 31-07-2012, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blackberry pie

Never done puddings, so how do I make a blackberry pie using ready made
pastry.
Ta
--
Pete C
Joe's Newcastle meet, 18th Aug

Old 31-07-2012, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Never done puddings, so how do I make a blackberry pie using ready made
pastry.
Ta
--

OOOps, sorry, wrong group
Pete C

Old 31-07-2012, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/07/2012 13:18, Pete C wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
Never done puddings, so how do I make a blackberry pie using ready made
pastry.
Ta
--

OOOps, sorry, wrong group
Pete C

Main problem is top & tailing the berries rather than making the pie.
Deep freezing and then rubbing the bits off is easier than manually
snipping away at fresh berries. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 31-07-2012, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Never done puddings, so how do I make a blackberry pie using ready made
pastry.
Ta
--

OOOps, sorry, wrong group
Pete C

Main problem is top & tailing the berries rather than making the pie.
Deep freezing and then rubbing the bits off is easier than manually
snipping away at fresh berries. YMMV

I might be wrong but are you thinking of blackcurrants? I pick the
blackberries (I call them brambles) clean.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 31-07-2012, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Never done puddings, so how do I make a blackberry pie using ready made
pastry.
Ta
--

OOOps, sorry, wrong group
Pete C

Main problem is top & tailing the berries rather than making the pie.
Deep freezing and then rubbing the bits off is easier than manually
snipping away at fresh berries. YMMV

Sounds to me as if you are muddling up blackberries and Black currants.
I've never had to top and tail Blackberries

Old 31-07-2012, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ophelia wrote:
Main problem is top & tailing the berries rather than making the pie.
Deep freezing and then rubbing the bits off is easier than manually
snipping away at fresh berries. YMMV

I might be wrong but are you thinking of blackcurrants? I pick the
blackberries (I call them brambles) clean.

Do you? Whenever I've picked blackberries they've always had a stem and
middle bit, unlike raspberries, which pick nicely!
Old 31-07-2012, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Main problem is top & tailing the berries rather than making the pie.
Deep freezing and then rubbing the bits off is easier than manually
snipping away at fresh berries. YMMV

I might be wrong but are you thinking of blackcurrants? I pick the
blackberries (I call them brambles) clean.

Do you? Whenever I've picked blackberries they've always had a stem and
middle bit, unlike raspberries, which pick nicely!

Oh yes! The ones I have picked come off clean the same as raspberries.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 31-07-2012, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Main problem is top & tailing the berries rather than making the pie.
Deep freezing and then rubbing the bits off is easier than manually
snipping away at fresh berries. YMMV

I might be wrong but are you thinking of blackcurrants? I pick the
blackberries (I call them brambles) clean.

Do you? Whenever I've picked blackberries they've always had a stem and
middle bit, unlike raspberries, which pick nicely!

Oh yes! The ones I have picked come off clean the same as raspberries.

Agreed. If they have bits still attached, you've picked them too soon :-(

(Blackberries that is)

Mike

Old 31-07-2012, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ophelia wrote:
I might be wrong but are you thinking of blackcurrants? I pick the
blackberries (I call them brambles) clean.

Do you? Whenever I've picked blackberries they've always had a stem and
middle bit, unlike raspberries, which pick nicely!

Oh yes! The ones I have picked come off clean the same as raspberries.

Weird, I've never had blackberries do that. To the point where I don't pick
blackberries much any more cos it annoys me so much.
Old 31-07-2012, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
I might be wrong but are you thinking of blackcurrants? I pick the
blackberries (I call them brambles) clean.

Do you? Whenever I've picked blackberries they've always had a stem and
middle bit, unlike raspberries, which pick nicely!

Oh yes! The ones I have picked come off clean the same as raspberries.

Weird, I've never had blackberries do that. To the point where I don't
pick
blackberries much any more cos it annoys me so much.

They're not ripe.

Don't be so impatient ;-)

Mike

Old 31-07-2012, 06:44 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C[_3_] View Post
Never done puddings, so how do I make a blackberry pie using ready made
pastry.
You will also need flour.

Turn oven to 180deg C

Spread a thin layer of flour over your working area to stop the pastry sticking,
Cut the pastry into two lumps, one about 1.5 times the size of the other.

Roll the big lump out (you can use a wine bottle or milk bottle if you don't have a rolling pin) to thinner than you think you can possibly need it - about half the thickness of the pastry you have in mind (it expands on cooking). If it all goes wrong, just roll it back into a ball and start again - pastry is forgiving stuff.

Find an over proof dish of the right size for the piece of pastry you have rolled out to cover its base and sides. If the edges are irregular, you can break off pieces that are hanging over the edge and use them to patch any gaps. Finally, use a knife to trim the top edge.

Fill with blackberries (they cook quickly so you shouldn't need to pre-cook them) and a bit of sugar if you think you need it.

Roll out the other piece of pastry and put it on top. Trim the edges, and cut two inch-long slits in the middle "to let the steam out" - I don't know whether this is necessary but it's traditional. Put it in the oven, preferably standing the dish on a baking sheet in case of any drips.

Start checking after 15 mins, and take it out when the top looks dry and is just beginning to get a golden tinge.

Other easy alternatives:

1) Blackberry crumble: Take some flour and half as much by weight of butter or marg. Use your finger tips to squash the fat into the flour, breaking it up so that eventually it looks "like breadcrumbs". Mix in some sugar - not more than a quarter of the weight of the flour, probably less. Scatter it on top of the blackberries and cook as for pie.

2) Blackberry sponge: Take equal weight of eggs, marg, sugar and flour. Use a beater to mix the sugar and marg until it looks paler and fluffier, add the eggs and stir in, add the flour and stir in. Spread on top of the blackberries, cook at 180 deg C, when it looks golden brown, test by pressing with your finger. If it leaves a dent and doesn't bounce back up, you need to cook it a bit longer.

3) You can stretch the blackberries without adversely affecting the taste by adding apples. To be in the safe side, you might want to pre-cook these a bit, as they taste better when soft and pureed.
__________________
Old 31-07-2012, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-31 18:22:00 +0100, said:

Do you? Whenever I've picked blackberries they've always had a stem and
middle bit, unlike raspberries, which pick nicely!

Oh yes! The ones I have picked come off clean the same as raspberries.

Weird, I've never had blackberries do that. To the point where I don't pick
blackberries much any more cos it annoys me so much.

Perhaps you're in too much of a hurry! ;-) Maybe they need to ripen a
bit longer?

In the UK, the brambles are an aggregate of species, which differ
considerably in properties. I have had some come off clean, and
others be very reluctant - even after they have become to soft
to eat, they STILL don't come off.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-07-2012, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
I might be wrong but are you thinking of blackcurrants? I pick the
blackberries (I call them brambles) clean.

Do you? Whenever I've picked blackberries they've always had a stem and
middle bit, unlike raspberries, which pick nicely!

Oh yes! The ones I have picked come off clean the same as raspberries.

Weird, I've never had blackberries do that. To the point where I don't
pick
blackberries much any more cos it annoys me so much.

I am sorry, I haven't had that problem. I grow them in my garden now, but
use to pick wild ones.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 31-07-2012, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
On 2012-07-31 18:22:00 +0100, said:

Do you? Whenever I've picked blackberries they've always had a stem
and
middle bit, unlike raspberries, which pick nicely!

Oh yes! The ones I have picked come off clean the same as raspberries.

Weird, I've never had blackberries do that. To the point where I don't
pick
blackberries much any more cos it annoys me so much.

Perhaps you're in too much of a hurry! ;-) Maybe they need to ripen a
bit longer?

In the UK, the brambles are an aggregate of species, which differ
considerably in properties. I have had some come off clean, and
others be very reluctant - even after they have become to soft
to eat, they STILL don't come off.

Ok, thanks, Nick. I haven't come across any like that but it seem Vicky
has

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Never done puddings, so how do I make a blackberry pie using ready made
pastry.
Ta
--

Main problem is top & tailing the berries rather than making the pie.
Deep freezing and then rubbing the bits off is easier than manually
snipping away at fresh berries. YMMV

I might be wrong but are you thinking of blackcurrants? I pick the
blackberries (I call them brambles) clean.

I was thinking of blackcurrants because ours are only just ripe now and
about three weeks late this year.

The brambles/blackberries are still small and bright green and ours
invariably do not come off cleanly like raspberries but core and all.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Joe Pie Weed Foxfield United Kingdom 7 21-09-2005 11:01 PM
Pumpkin Pie Rodger Whitlock United Kingdom 17 13-03-2005 08:09 PM
Pie cherry tree problems...no fruit dstvns Gardening 9 20-07-2003 11:12 PM
Pie cherry tree problems...no fruit J. Lane Edible Gardening 3 20-07-2003 11:04 PM
robins and cow pie buffets madgard Gardening 2 10-02-2003 04:25 AM