Old 19-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Foxfield

Default Joe Pie Weed

Where can we get this from?

a.k.a. Gravelroot or Queen of the Meadow.

--
http://foxfield-parva.mysite.wanadoo...uk/index.jhtml

Old 19-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Sacha

On 19/9/05 16:51, in article , "Foxfield"
wrote:

Where can we get this from?

a.k.a. Gravelroot or Queen of the Meadow.

I think you mean the Eupatorium Atropurureum that was in one of the week end
supplements? I think Beth Chatto's nursery in Essex has it but so do quite
a few others.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Thats "Joe Pye Weed", Eupatorum maculatum.

It a common plant that grows wild along roadsids, marshes, meadows and
woodlands all over the eastern United States.

.uk...

Old 20-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Sacha

On 20/9/05 11:34, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

On 19/9/05 23:07, in article
,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

I think you mean the Eupatorium Atropurureum that was in one of the
week end
supplements? I think Beth Chatto's nursery in Essex has it but so
do quite
a few others.

It has a somewhat paler flowered relative native to the UK and Europe
- Eupatorium cannabinum. Often seen in lightly shaded hedgerows and
at the edge of woodland clearings it grows between 1.5 and 2m. high.
It is commonly known as 'Hemp Agrimony' in this country.

It's a lovely plant and we grow it here, where it attracts masses of
butterflies, bees, hoverflies etc. But the one that was written about in
the Times supplement is we *think* the E. Atropurpureum. We were all
looking it up and I found some pics on Googles images. The writer said
he'd seen it in her garden, along with something called (IIRC) Datisca
cannabina and other very tall plants. The article was about using tall and
striking plants.

I recently acquired datisca cannabina (from Larch Cottage Nurseries),
never seen it before, haven't planted it out yet ..any tips gratefully
received :-)

It's one I want to get because it sounds wonderful for the back of big
borders.

The eupatoriium atropurpureum I have, is "Chocolate", very dark
puprle leaves but hasn't flowered yet. (At least it's still alive..the
first attempt died)

We have that and it's in bud so I hope it survives! The leaves are a
fantastic colour. BTW, Janet, did you happen to see the programme on
Augustus Smith 'father' of Tresco? There was a bit where two of the
long-ago islanders tried to bump him off and one of them was played by Mike
Nelhams - with far too much relish, IMO! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:50:17 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

The eupatoriium atropurpureum I have, is "Chocolate", very dark
puprle leaves but hasn't flowered yet. (At least it's still alive..the
first attempt died)

We have that and it's in bud so I hope it survives! The leaves are a
fantastic colour. BTW, Janet, did you happen to see the programme on
Augustus Smith 'father' of Tresco? There was a bit where two of the
long-ago islanders tried to bump him off and one of them was played by Mike
Nelhams - with far too much relish, IMO! ;-)

I saw it, but didn't twig it was MN. But what I saw was part of a
local magazine programme on Westward TV 'Inside Out' , which wouldn't
have been broadcast nationally. Or was there another?

--
Chris

Joe Pye Weed on Culvert Side? Scott Hildenbrand Gardening 25 09-11-2007 01:32 AM
Joe Pye weed Emerald Gardening 2 14-07-2005 11:50 PM
Barley pads ? { Joe }JOE JOE JOE Mary kate Ponds 1 16-06-2004 10:09 PM
Joe-pye weed Klee1516 Gardening 6 18-09-2003 01:02 AM
Joe Pye Weed Moll McCarty Gardening 0 15-06-2003 03:20 PM