Old 17-08-2012, 06:32 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

My 5 "weed" spurges (I have others which don't need controlling) are

Petty spurge - probably the little ones you have in your garden
Upright spurge - about 18 inches, multiple stems
Wood spurge - spreads by runners and is very invasive
Cypress spurge - another invasive one spreading by runners
Caper spurge - stems an inch thick, grows to 6ft high
__________________
Old 17-08-2012, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Serious weeding required

"kay" wrote in message

Christina Websell;966814 Wrote:
"mogga" wrote in message
...-
On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:35:53 +0000, kay
wrote:

Spurges are trivial by comparison (even though I have 5 species which
try to get into p[laces where they are not wanted)-

these are different from the little spurges that appear in my garden.
They
grow 18 inches at least, branched with big hard stems that are hard to
pull
up. They are definitely a spurge.

It's the worst weed I have on my veggie plot along with fools parsley
and
mallow.

My 5 "weed" spurges (I have others which don't need controlling) are

Petty spurge - probably the little ones you have in your garden
Upright spurge - about 18 inches, multiple stems
Wood spurge - spreads by runners and is very invasive
Cypress spurge - another invasive one spreading by runners
Caper spurge - stems an inch thick, grows to 6ft high[/i][/color]

Ah, sounds like upright spurge then. Thanks for the info.

I find it interesting to see what weeds/wildflowers have appeared since the
top of the ground was skimmed off by the digger earlier in the year.
Evening primrose has made an appearance. Lots of opium poppies and some
sort of small nightshade type thing that looks like a potato plant when it
first comes up and loads of white clover, although that's not surprising as
I sowed that deliberately years ago for my goats who lived there.

Tina