Old 24-08-2012, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snakes

We have a problem with snakes on our field this year. People are finding
them tangled up in netting around various crops. Unfortunately we don't
always get there in time to effect a release.

Anyone else got this problem?

--
Kathy

Old 24-08-2012, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
We have a problem with snakes on our field this year. People are finding
them tangled up in netting around various crops. Unfortunately we don't
always get there in time to effect a release.

Anyone else got this problem?

--
Kathy

Sounds like the mesh may be a bit small, I assume its rabbits you are trying
to stop? or is it cabbage whites? we get lots of grass snakes here but I
have never seen one trapped.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 25-08-2012, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
We have a problem with snakes on our field this year. People are finding
them tangled up in netting around various crops. Unfortunately we don't
always get there in time to effect a release.

Anyone else got this problem?

What sort of snakes?
Tina

Old 25-08-2012, 02:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
We have a problem with snakes on our field this year. People are finding
them tangled up in netting around various crops. Unfortunately we don't
always get there in time to effect a release.

Anyone else got this problem?

It's a known technique for ridding the garden of highly venomous snakes in
Australia. Trap them with bird netting, then kill them with a long handled
shovel.

Old 25-08-2012, 04:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" wrote in message
"Kathy" wrote in message
We have a problem with snakes on our field this year. People are finding
them tangled up in netting around various crops. Unfortunately we don't
always get there in time to effect a release.

Anyone else got this problem?

It's a known technique for ridding the garden of highly venomous snakes in
Australia. Trap them with bird netting, then kill them with a long
handled shovel.

Would it be possible to release them a few miles away without bashing their
brains out near your house?

Old 25-08-2012, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Farm1" wrote in message
"Kathy" wrote in message
We have a problem with snakes on our field this year. People are
finding them tangled up in netting around various crops. Unfortunately
we don't always get there in time to effect a release.

Anyone else got this problem?

It's a known technique for ridding the garden of highly venomous snakes
in Australia. Trap them with bird netting, then kill them with a long
handled shovel.

Would it be possible to release them a few miles away without bashing
their brains out near your house?

It would depend on any handler being a) trained in handling of these highly
venomous snakes and b) having access to antivenin in the case of something
going wrong.

One good chomp from one of these fellows and it's 'good night nurse'. The
common snakes here are 1) Eastern Brown Snake (12 times more venomous than a
Cobra and b) Tiger Snake (4 times more venomous than a Cobra)

If your'e interested:
http://www.reptilepark.com.au/animalprofile.asp?id=109

Old 25-08-2012, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" wrote in :

"Kathy" wrote in message
We have a problem with snakes on our field this year. People are
finding them tangled up in netting around various crops.
Unfortunately we don't always get there in time to effect a release.

Anyone else got this problem?

It's a known technique for ridding the garden of highly venomous
snakes in Australia. Trap them with bird netting, then kill them with
a long handled shovel.

This is not Australia and we are lucky to have only one species which is
venomous in the UK. which is the adder. A shy, very rarely seen animal, let
alone getting bitten by one.
If I lived in Australia I would not sleep unless I had a long handled
shovel under my pillow

Baz
Old 25-08-2012, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 10:55:27 GMT, Baz wrote:

This is not Australia and we are lucky to have only one species which is
venomous in the UK. which is the adder. A shy, very rarely seen animal, let
alone getting bitten by one.

Baz

They're not that shy or rare around here. I often find one basking in
the garden on sunny days, and once found a group of adderlings. But
then I'm next to farmland and there's a small river not far away. If
it doesn't move, a heavy stamp of the foot usually wakes it up and off
it goes. They're very sensitive to vibration which is why walkers in
the country won't come across them that often.

(For clarification, sunny days are few and far between this year but
if it is sunny there's a fair chance of finding one.)

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 25-08-2012, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
We have a problem with snakes on our field this year. People are finding
them tangled up in netting around various crops. Unfortunately we don't
always get there in time to effect a release.

Anyone else got this problem?

What sort of snakes?
Tina

Grass snakes.

--
Kathy

Old 26-08-2012, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
We have a problem with snakes on our field this year. People are
finding them tangled up in netting around various crops. Unfortunately
we don't always get there in time to effect a release.

Anyone else got this problem?

What sort of snakes?
Tina

Grass snakes.

If you think the netting is a problem, then there are limited options.

If you want to keep it, you probably need to patrol it regularly to check
for snakes so you can release them. That would probably mean twice a day so
that might mean that you need to assess how much you value your time over
the life of the snakes. The other options would be to remove it, or,
alternatively, to lift it up off the ground a bit so the snakes can slide
under it but then those options probably wouldn't work too well for any form
of crop protection.

But, as I mentioned in my earlier response and which only seems to have
resulted in the thread immediatly moving away from the question asked, this
form of netting is used, and is well known as being a very effective way of
trapping snakes, ergo.......

Old 26-08-2012, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think I made it clear in my OP. The snakes have always been around.
We always use the same types of netting. But this year a lot of the
youngsters are getting trapped in it. Perhaps there are more of them around
this year.

--
Kathy

Old 29-08-2012, 02:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
"Farm1" wrote in message
"Kathy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message
"Kathy" wrote in message
[...]

Mea culpa - I misunderstood what you were asking. I thought you wanted
advice on how to stop them getting trapped and possibly dieing.