Old 15-09-2012, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Choosing lawn grass seed (possibly with mocroclover)...

Good day,

I want to convert about 30 sq yds of vegetable plot into lawn. The area is
at the back of my house in Dorset, and receives full sun. The soil is
slightly cleyey and alkaline. I'd like to use seed that will result in a
lawn that will stay green even in mild draught, and not require too much
mowing and weeding The area will not get much wear and tear.

I'd also like it if the chosen mix will spread, because surrounding the
patch in question, is a larger area consisting of poor grass types which
don't stay green in summer, but I don't have the inclination to dig it all
over and replant. It would be great if the newly-planted area would
gradually spread and take over the entire area...

Can anyone recommend a suitable grass seed mix? I am also wondering about
adding some microclover seed. Does anyone have any experience of this, and
would you recommend it?

Many thanks,

Old 15-09-2012, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Al Shahadie wrote in
:

stay green even in mild draught,

Sorry - I meant "drought"!
Old 15-09-2012, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

The Grass Seed Store does a lawn seed with Trifolium repens added, see
http://tinyurl.com/8hz65kf, but I have no experience of it or them, so
can't make a specific recommendation. I bought my clover seed from
Victoriana Garden Nursery, http://tinyurl.com/973tgyo, but as I said,
it didn't work very well for me. YMMV.

Thank you for the response, and for the info on clover varieties. That's
useful info. I've read that clover seed needs a reasonably high temperature
to germinate (such as what is typical before mid-September in the UK. I
wonder if your low germination rate was a temperature issue...