Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-09-2012, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato Planting

I wonder if people go to any trouble in preparing a mix of compost etc for
putting their tomatoes in when they plant out in to 10" pots or whatever.

The reason that I ask is that I used that Verve rubbish compost this year for
some of my pots and I noticed that some of them retained much more water that
others. I have a dripper system and some were having standing water on the
surface - others weren't. When I investigated it was the worst of the Verve
which was retaining much more water.

Some of those are now developing the stalk splitting and cracking and the
yellow leaves which I understand can be caused indirectly by over watering.

Of course I need not drip water them every day - but I would rather prepare the
same compost/sand/vermiculite mixture or whatever others recommend this next
year.

Judith (not in France)

Tomato Planting Oklahoma Tomcat Lawns 3 06-06-2008 07:53 PM
Planting tomato plants Therefore United Kingdom 4 25-04-2008 07:17 PM
Tomato planting time! Victor Martinez Texas 5 01-04-2004 08:21 PM
when deep planting tomato plants....? DigitalVinyl Edible Gardening 7 15-05-2003 06:44 PM