Old 17-09-2012, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato Planting

I wonder if people go to any trouble in preparing a mix of compost etc for
putting their tomatoes in when they plant out in to 10" pots or whatever.

The reason that I ask is that I used that Verve rubbish compost this year for
some of my pots and I noticed that some of them retained much more water that
others. I have a dripper system and some were having standing water on the
surface - others weren't. When I investigated it was the worst of the Verve
which was retaining much more water.

Some of those are now developing the stalk splitting and cracking and the
yellow leaves which I understand can be caused indirectly by over watering.

Of course I need not drip water them every day - but I would rather prepare the
same compost/sand/vermiculite mixture or whatever others recommend this next
year.

Judith (not in France)

Old 19-09-2012, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

My standard mix for all pot vegetables was one of bagged manure, one of peat
(or peat free) compost and one of top soil (or JI3 depending on price).
This gives a good dose of organics, fine compost to encourage roots, and
soil base to encourage easy re-wetting when it all dries out.
I also added Growmore and chicken manure pellets.
Having had bad experiences with peat free compost I may go back to peat
based.
Generally does quite well with tomatoes and cucumbers.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 21-09-2012, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:47:42 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"Judith" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Many thanks - appreciated
Old 21-09-2012, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, September 17, 2012 1:41:02 PM UTC+1, Judith wrote:
I wonder if people go to any trouble in preparing a mix of compost etc for

putting their tomatoes in when they plant out in to 10" pots or whatever.

The reason that I ask is that I used that Verve rubbish compost this year for

some of my pots and I noticed that some of them retained much more water that

others. I have a dripper system and some were having standing water on the

surface - others weren't. When I investigated it was the worst of the Verve

which was retaining much more water.

Some of those are now developing the stalk splitting and cracking and the

yellow leaves which I understand can be caused indirectly by over watering.

Of course I need not drip water them every day - but I would rather prepare the

same compost/sand/vermiculite mixture or whatever others recommend this next

year.

I mix my own compost for tomatoes in tubs, but I try not to make it too nutritious for the plants initially because I find that the plants grow vast quantities of leaves but do not have many flowers.

Only when the first fruits have appeared do I start feeding the plants with a homemade liquid feed.

The compost for my plants is usually a mixture of bought peat compost, home produced compost, home produced leaf mould and a hand full of blood, fish and bone.

I did try the council bagged recycled compost once but the results were so disappointing that I will not use it again except maybe for a mulch.

John
Old 21-09-2012, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John" wrote in message
[...]

saved with thanks!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Tomato Planting Oklahoma Tomcat Lawns 3 06-06-2008 07:53 PM
Planting tomato plants Therefore United Kingdom 4 25-04-2008 07:17 PM
Tomato planting time! Victor Martinez Texas 5 01-04-2004 08:21 PM
when deep planting tomato plants....? DigitalVinyl Edible Gardening 7 15-05-2003 06:44 PM