Old 24-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Registered User

Default nice smelling plants required for planter

Hi
Hope this is in the right forum - if not please re-direct me.

Basically herre is my problem - my neighbours seem adverse to picking up thier dogs mess - so I would like to buy a planter for my patio which I can put outside the kitchen door which may release some nice scent which may distract me from the dogs mess!

I have taken steps to tackle the dog problem - but even if it went away would still like to have some nice smelling plants in the garden (it is all patio)

Any help is appreciated.
Old 24-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1980 View Post
Hi
Hope this is in the right forum - if not please re-direct me.

Basically herre is my problem - my neighbours seem adverse to picking up thier dogs mess - so I would like to buy a planter for my patio which I can put outside the kitchen door which may release some nice scent which may distract me from the dogs mess!

I have taken steps to tackle the dog problem - but even if it went away would still like to have some nice smelling plants in the garden (it is all patio)

Any help is appreciated.
There's no such thing as a plant with nice smelling flowers all year, they tend to have their 3 weeks and then its over. The strongest scented flowers, such as Daphne odora, Sarcococca humilis, and lonicera fragrantissima are winter-early spring flowerers. This is because things that flower when there aren't many insects about put out a strong smell to attract them.

There are things with smelly leaves/needles like a spruce and Rosemary, but they often need the sun on them, or brushing past, to be encouraged to give it off. Eucalyptus perhaps have the most fragrant leaves, but are not usually very suitable in a planter, though maybe you can get away with it if you keep it well clipped back to encourage low bushiness, and ideally select a species with bushiness as a property, unfortunately most of those sold want to become tall trees.

Google fragrant shrubs for more suggestions.
Old 24-09-2012, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:30:45 +0000, jd1980
wrote:

Hi
Hope this is in the right forum - if not please re-direct me.

Basically herre is my problem - my neighbours seem adverse to picking up
thier dogs mess - so I would like to buy a planter for my patio which I
can put outside the kitchen door which may release some nice scent which
may distract me from the dogs mess!

I have taken steps to tackle the dog problem - but even if it went away
would still like to have some nice smelling plants in the garden (it is
all patio)

Any help is appreciated.

Bacon fat poured over the dog mess.

Mint, lavender, thymes.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 24-09-2012, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jd1980" wrote in message
Hi
Hope this is in the right forum - if not please re-direct me.

Basically herre is my problem - my neighbours seem adverse to picking up
thier dogs mess - so I would like to buy a planter for my patio which I
can put outside the kitchen door which may release some nice scent which
may distract me from the dogs mess!

I have taken steps to tackle the dog problem - but even if it went away
would still like to have some nice smelling plants in the garden (it is
all patio)

Any help is appreciated.

--
jd1980

You have a 'nasty smell'. You 'suspect' Gas and call the Gas Board in.

They will politely tell you what the problem is and THEY will consult with
Environmental Services and have a quiet/polite word with your Neighbours
thus ensuring that you are not about to fall out with them.

BTDTGTTS

Mike

Old 24-09-2012, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jd1980" wrote

Hope this is in the right forum - if not please re-direct me.

Basically herre is my problem - my neighbours seem adverse to picking up
thier dogs mess - so I would like to buy a planter for my patio which I
can put outside the kitchen door which may release some nice scent which
may distract me from the dogs mess!

I have taken steps to tackle the dog problem - but even if it went away
would still like to have some nice smelling plants in the garden (it is
all patio)

Any help is appreciated.

Helichrysum italicum (Curry plant) planted along the boundary would get
your own back although it's a lot nicer than dog poo, just as long as you
can stand the smell.
Alternatively as it's to be right outside your kitchen door what about a
trough of herbs... rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, even lavender. They do
need as much sun as possible though.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.