Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Disguising plastic pots

Like a lot of people I can't afford glazed tubs in the larger sizes, so
I'd like to try and disguise the black plastic variety. I've scoured the
web, so I know about burlap etc, but I wondered if anyone here had come
up with a novel method. I was thinking maybe Poundshop roller beach mats
and twine?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 10:27:27 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Like a lot of people I can't afford glazed tubs in the larger sizes, so
I'd like to try and disguise the black plastic variety. I've scoured the
web, so I know about burlap etc, but I wondered if anyone here had come
up with a novel method. I was thinking maybe Poundshop roller beach mats
and twine?

Years ago I painted a big black plastic pot with some paint I had left
over mixed with sand. It has a few missing bits now but it still looks
OK. It won't survive being moved!

Steve

Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Like a lot of people I can't afford glazed tubs in the larger sizes, so
I'd like to try and disguise the black plastic variety. I've scoured the
web, so I know about burlap etc, but I wondered if anyone here had come
up with a novel method. I was thinking maybe Poundshop roller beach mats
and twine?

I use bamboo slat screening cut to size (the only thing to watch for
is the number of wires used to hold it together - some brands have
wires 4-6" apart which is great and others a foot apart which is
useless).

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/10/2012 10:27, stuart noble wrote:
Like a lot of people I can't afford glazed tubs in the larger sizes, so
I'd like to try and disguise the black plastic variety. I've scoured the
web, so I know about burlap etc, but I wondered if anyone here had come
up with a novel method. I was thinking maybe Poundshop roller beach mats
and twine?

Why not try covering it with hypertufa.
http://www.the-artistic-garden.com/h...-beginner.html
Old 07-10-2012, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, October 7, 2012 10:27:28 AM UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:
Like a lot of people I can't afford glazed tubs in the larger sizes, so

I'd like to try and disguise the black plastic variety. I've scoured the

web, so I know about burlap etc, but I wondered if anyone here had come

up with a novel method. I was thinking maybe Poundshop roller beach mats

and twine?

Another option I've seen: some sort of sand/cement mix, stones or shells pressed into it
And another: planters made from durable woods

NT

Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/10/2012 11:38, David Hill wrote:
On 07/10/2012 10:27, stuart noble wrote:
Like a lot of people I can't afford glazed tubs in the larger sizes, so
I'd like to try and disguise the black plastic variety. I've scoured the
web, so I know about burlap etc, but I wondered if anyone here had come
up with a novel method. I was thinking maybe Poundshop roller beach mats
and twine?

Why not try covering it with hypertufa.
http://www.the-artistic-garden.com/h...-beginner.html

Don't think I'm the hypertufa type somehow. You either need a lot of
patience or to be living somewhere very hot :-)

And thanks to Jake. Yes, I've looked at screening but the wirework is
more problematic than it looks