Old 10-10-2012, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lol lol is offline

Default unhappy choisya

Any advice please on whats wrong with our Choisya and how to sort it/
Whole branches dying having to be pruned out, some pale blotches on bark.
It is in a sheltered position on rich soil, been happy for some years now.
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...%20choisya.JPG
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...oisyaclose.JPG

very many thanks for any suggestions
laurence

Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/2012 05:57 PM, lol wrote:
Any advice please on whats wrong with our Choisya and how to sort it/
Whole branches dying having to be pruned out, some pale blotches on bark.
It is in a sheltered position on rich soil, been happy for some years now.
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...%20choisya.JPG
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...oisyaclose.JPG

Being chewed on by slugs?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/2012 16:57, lol wrote:
Any advice please on whats wrong with our Choisya and how to sort it/
Whole branches dying having to be pruned out, some pale blotches on bark.
It is in a sheltered position on rich soil, been happy for some years now.
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...%20choisya.JPG
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...oisyaclose.JPG

very many thanks for any suggestions
laurence

Sorry to say, but it may be coming to the end of its natural life. You
could try taking a cutting from the remaining green growths, or dig it
up and buy a new one - preferably to plant elsewhere.

Another possibility is cutting it right back and hoping for green shoots
in spring, but it may be slow to come back, if at all.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-10-10 16:57:34 +0100, "lol"
said:

Any advice please on whats wrong with our Choisya and how to sort it/
Whole branches dying having to be pruned out, some pale blotches on bark.
It is in a sheltered position on rich soil, been happy for some years
now.
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...%20choisya.JPG
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...oisyaclose.JPG

very many thanks for any suggestions
laurence

Could just be old age.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Mine used to do that to me, after several rescues I got fed up with it never
looking good and I gave up on it in the end.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Many thanks for all the replies - OK, its worn out!

Of course I was thinking "I just did that one" but actually that was in 1985
There is also a Philadelphus that seems to be dying - thank goodness for the
trees (birch, pseudoplatapus brilliantiss., eucalyptus, ozymandias, holly
and ivys that are still going strong.
Whole new subject: Planting for Permanence. a book in there for someone .
If 1985 was a long time ago, is that why my fet feel cold at night??
"lol" wrote in message
Any advice please on whats wrong with our Choisya and how to sort it/
Whole branches dying having to be a few years agopruned out, some pale

Old 24-04-2014, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:57:34 PM UTC+1, lol wrote:
Any advice please on whats wrong with our Choisya and how to sort it/

Whole branches dying having to be pruned out, some pale blotches on bark.

It is in a sheltered position on rich soil, been happy for some years now.

http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...%20choisya.JPG

http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...oisyaclose.JPG

Could be lack of iron, if got any old iron nails dig into soil around roots or buy iron food!!