Old 02-11-2012, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New "friends" and such

My rotavator has caused a few laughs when we get it off the trailer, quite
rightly so. It's an old bit of kit. Ancient when compared with modern
machines. The thing is that this ancient monster will cover 2'(600mm) in
one pass. Yes 2 feet.
Well of course everybody wants to be my friend now. Even after I was hated
because I was new and took some greedy sods second allotment.
So long as they put fuel in, I'm happy. This machine can't be worn out even
when used by bigots.

Baz
Old 02-11-2012, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 13:04:42 GMT, Baz wrote:

My rotavator has caused a few laughs when we get it off the trailer, quite
rightly so. It's an old bit of kit. Ancient when compared with modern
machines. The thing is that this ancient monster will cover 2'(600mm) in
one pass. Yes 2 feet.

Baz

That is some beast and must be fairly powerful to turn a head that
wide. I hope someone borrowing it doesn't come across stony ground.
There was an old, fairly ancient, stone footpath running under the
garden here which, over time, I've dug out. Neighbours were having a
new lawn laid and I didn't think to mention it to them. The
contractor's apprentice was using a normal sized petrol rotovator on
the ground. Hit the path and the machine jumped into the air and flew
a few feet with him hanging on and almost screaming with fright!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/11/2012 13:18, The Original Jake wrote:
[...]

There is a big difference between being dragged along by a Gem and being
able to use it properly.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

[...]

Yes there is. And in spring I am hoping to be able to use this Gem as it
was intended. Just need to read the instructions properly, and they are a
bit confusing. If you have read them you will know what I mean.

Baz
Old 02-11-2012, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/11/2012 14:36, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

[...]

Never read the book or seen the film but I started with a Gem around 50
years ago. I still have one out the field, covered but it's how to get
it back and inside that's the problem, no way can it be pushed.
Make sure you know how to stop it in an emergency. I remember once being
reversed through the end of a glasshouse.
Don't try to go to deep in a single pass, they are more liable to jump
if you do and hit something hard.
If it does jump, then reverse back to the take-off point and start from
there again.
Remember when turning and or reversing let the machine do the work.
David @ the wintry end of Swansea Bay.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
My rotavator has caused a few laughs when we get it off the trailer, quite
rightly so. It's an old bit of kit. Ancient when compared with modern
machines. The thing is that this ancient monster will cover 2'(600mm) in
one pass. Yes 2 feet.
Well of course everybody wants to be my friend now. Even after I was hated
because I was new and took some greedy sods second allotment.
So long as they put fuel in, I'm happy. This machine can't be worn out
even
when used by bigots.

I am pleased you are allowing them to borrow it All in the
interests of harmony! Well done you!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/