Old 04-11-2012, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Whoops, moister retaining crystal error

I have just planted out into containers some strawberry plants. Due to
stupidity I have put far, far too much into the compost. Will the
strawberry plant be OK, or do I need to re-pot them?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

I have just planted out into containers some strawberry plants. Due to
stupidity I have put far, far too much into the compost. Will the
strawberry plant be OK, or do I need to re-pot them?

Are they in danger of the swelling crystals pushing the whole lot
out of the pot?

Do you reckon they have enough nourishment?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote in news:k75i3n$hfe$1@dont-
email.me:

I have just planted out into containers some strawberry plants. Due to
stupidity I have put far, far too much into the compost. Will the
strawberry plant be OK, or do I need to re-pot them?

To be safe I would re-pot them. A wet winter and what is left of autumn
could rot the roots.
I wonder also if it would be OK for you to put your containers very close
to a south facing wall. A south facing wall does not get too much rain and
they would get the benefit of radiated heat from the wall.

Best wishes
Baz
Old 04-11-2012, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/11/2012 11:04, Broadback wrote:
I have just planted out into containers some strawberry plants. Due to
stupidity I have put far, far too much into the compost. Will the
strawberry plant be OK, or do I need to re-pot them?

I did this 2-3 years ago. Lost all the plants, and that was during the
summer. I think you need to repot. Sorry.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 04-11-2012, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 11:04:23 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

I have just planted out into containers some strawberry plants. Due to
stupidity I have put far, far too much into the compost. Will the
strawberry plant be OK, or do I need to re-pot them?

What compost did you use? If John Innes No 2 or 3, definitely repot
completely as you risk waterlogging and root rot over winter. JI
composts retain enough moisture without help!

If it's multipurpose, gauge it by the swelling. If the compost is
swelling up proud of the containers, then repot completely. If it's
swelling up through the inch or so gap you left between top of compost
and top of container (you did leave a gap?) then remove and replace
the top half of the compost. Given your explanation, I think this is
probably the minimum you should do anyway.

Water retaining crystals should generally only be used at the bottom
of the depth to which you want the roots to develop - the bottom half
of a container for example. Otherwise they retain moisture at the top
and release it to roots which then don't develop properly. They are
usually a summer addition to annual hanging baskets and planters. I
wouldn't use them at all with perennial plants (such as strawbs).

Given the time of year, make sure your containers can drain - if on a
hard surface, lift them up using pot stands or similar. After
repotting, it would be best to place the containers where they will
get some shelter from rain to avoid waterlogging and root rot.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for all the help. I have now re-potted them, as they were
only in for less than 48 hours I reckon they will be OK.