Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree dahlias etc

On 12/11/2012 04:17, Farm1 wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
On 09/11/2012 06:10, Farm1 wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
On 08/11/2012 05:07, Farm1 wrote:
(snip) Do you fertilise yours regularly or give them any special
treatment
during the growing season?

If you had it from a stem cutting, why not ask the person who gave it to
you what they do.

I would if I saw them with any degree of regularity of had contact with
them. I thought that given the numbers you grow you might be classed as
an
expert. Thanks anyway.

My reason for saying ask the people you got them from is the difference in
our weather.
We get around 80 inches of rain a year and don't get the heat you do, we
range from around -3c to a high of no more than 30c this summer I doubt we
reached over 25 c.
It's hard to advise anyone when you have a different climate they don't
know the variety of Dahlia (different varieties have different
requirements).
I offered advice to you if it's not good enough for you well I can do
nothing about that.

David the advice you had given was good enough for me. That is why I asked
if you fertilised or gave them any special treatment and why I thanked you.

Sounds to me as if you will have to water in the summer so I would use a
liquid feed when you water, I'd use something like a Tomato feed as you
don't want to promote to much top growth.
If you leave the plants in for 2 or 3 years you can end up with a tuber
that can be 4ft or more.
Once you have several plants then I'd try leaving one in to over winter.
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay