Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree dahlias etc

I had a look at the GW bit about Dahlias and our friend showing his Tree
Dahlia D. Imperialis, he was wrong about it's flowering time. it's late
October to November, not September.
It does seem as if a hot summer helps flowering, mine flowered well last
year, but not even a bud this year.
The leaves do look good, and I measured one today that is 37 inches long.
The touch of frost that we had a few days ago knocked the ordinary
dahlias a bit and caught some of the leaves on the Imperalis but just
the odd one, and in some cases just half a leaf, this picture shows
frost damage between 2 plants that were untouched
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...lisfrosted.jpg
The next pictures are of D.Tenuicaulis, it is now close to 10 ft tall
with flower buds showing at the tips, the leaves are much smaller than
D. Imperialis.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...current=01.jpg

Tenuicaulis is in the centre of the picture behind the cane.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...caulisbuds.jpg
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...aulisplant.jpg
There are a lot of the Hybrid tree dahlias flowering well despite the
rain and hail we have had the last 3 days, and with plenty of buds to
follow weather permitting
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...lawithbuds.jpg
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ent=Stella.jpg
The species D. Coccina are still flowering well,
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...sCoccina01.jpg
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...sCoccina04.jpg
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...sCoccina02.jpg
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...sCoccina03.jpg
I think you can see the rest of the album showing the range of the
Hybrids as they are today, though some were taken 2 weeks ago.
David @ the muddy end of Swansea Bay.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote ...

[...]

Some of those Trinidad Series hybrids are stunning David, I presume they are
crosses with D imperialis, how tall do they grow and will you be selling
them soon?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/11/2012 15:47, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote ...

[...]

No Imperialis in any of them as it flowers so late, I want to try to
save pollen when I can get flowers though I'm told it wont be
compatible. But I love doing what isn't possible.
I think I'll have to pot grow an Imperialis and try to cross onto it,
that way pollen will only be weeks old. IF, IF, IF.
The Trinidad series are around 5ft or so with me, but they are still
under development.
They were planted from large pots and were in flower in August and are
still flowering, Trinidad Sunset started late July.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/11/2012 21:24, David Hill wrote:
[...]

One of my favourites is this,
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...urrent=03a.jpg
the form could be better but I love the colour and with a flower 6 to
7 inches across it looks good
Old 06-11-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-11-06 16:26:09 +0000, David Hill
said:

[...]

I get a blank page on your photo album when I click on that. But flower
no. 3 is a tousled pink which is just lovely! Is that it? Below is the
url for that one. I want one!
http://s240.beta.photobucket.com/use...tc/03.jpg.html

That and No 10 are the same dahlia Sacha

Old 06-11-2012, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
One of my favourites is this,
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...urrent=03a.jpg

the form could be better but I love the colour and with a flower 6 to 7
inches across it looks good

I get a blank page on your photo album when I click on that. But flower
no. 3 is a tousled pink which is just lovely! Is that it? Below is the url
for that one. I want one!
http://s240.beta.photobucket.com/use...tc/03.jpg.html

Trinidad series 02 is my favourite ATM.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-11-06 18:31:02 +0000, David Hill

On 2012-11-06 16:26:09 +0000, David Hill
said:

[...]

Thanks, Bob. But when I clicked on Dave's link ending in 03a.jpg, I got
into his album but the page was blank. Am I doing something wrong?
Other than 'clicking' I did nothing else, however.

Bob?
The link for 03a is the one I posted as No 10 Sachs
David @ the dryer end of Swansea bay

Old 07-11-2012, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote a most itneresting post
about tree dahlias

David I've long wanted to have a tree dahlia and was finally given a number
of cuttings in the pst 6 months. I have one growing in a pot in my sun room
and it's now topping 6ft. All danger of frosts here in the sthn hemisphere
should now be over and I can finally plant it out. I've found an
appropriate spot where there is limited danger to it from strong winds but
can you provide some hints on how to grow this plant for optimal perfomance?

I have no idea what sort of tree dahlia it is. Probably whatever the most
commonly availble one would be.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Trinidad series 02 is my favourite ATM.

Sigh of relief as Bob cuts out all the stuff he's answering. I was
having to go further and further down the page to find the current text

--
Janet Tweedy
Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/11/2012 00:22, Farm1 wrote:
"David Hill" wrote a most itneresting post
about tree dahlias

David I've long wanted to have a tree dahlia and was finally given a number
of cuttings in the pst 6 months. I have one growing in a pot in my sun room
and it's now topping 6ft. All danger of frosts here in the sthn hemisphere
should now be over and I can finally plant it out. I've found an
appropriate spot where there is limited danger to it from strong winds but
can you provide some hints on how to grow this plant for optimal perfomance?

I have no idea what sort of tree dahlia it is. Probably whatever the most
commonly availble one would be.

The Southern Hemisphere is a large place, where exactly?
Does your dahlia look anything like the plants in the foreground?
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...othertrees.jpg
D. Imperialis has very large leaves, as I have said I measured one the
other day and it was 37 inches long.
There are a lot of tree dahlias but Imperialis is the most commonly
grown variety.
I saw pictures of some well established "Trees" growing in Northern
India with snow covered mountains in the distance.
They can be grown from stem cuttings as well as from seed and ordinary
cuttings.
They seem to need a hot summer to initiate flower bud , buy don't flower
till the day length is falling, here and in the US of A it is normal for
them to be in flower in November weather permitting.
This year because of the very poor summer I have no flower buds formed
on any of my 13 Imperialis, where as D. Tenuicaulis has formed buds.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...caulisbuds.jpg
With both the flower buds form at the end of the shoots.
When planting out you will need a tall, strong stake especially if you
are in an area prone to wind.
I would rate them as very tender perennial, if frost free they will grow
on from year to year making a larger trunk and a "Tree", where there is
frost they will take the occasional light frost but will get cut back to
ground level by hard frost.
If the tuber is planted 6 or more inches below the surface, and you
cover with straw or similar in winter the tuber should survive outside,
provided it has good drainage.
David @ the rain free end of Swansea Bay.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Australia, but that is no help either given it's size. Cold winters down to
-9C, 40C in mid summer for about a week, between 28-36 inches of rain per
year, considered to be temperate.

Does your dahlia look anything like the plants in the foreground?
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...othertrees.jpg
D. Imperialis has very large leaves, as I have said I measured one the
other day and it was 37 inches long.
There are a lot of tree dahlias but Imperialis is the most commonly grown
variety.

I squinted at all the pics in your first post and I really can't say with
any certainty. It looks more like the leaves on the pic 2 further on from
the one that shows your hand. The leaves in the first pic you mention seem
to be too glaucous. In all honesty I really can't say which pic they look
most like. If it's any help, there are in clusters of 5 individual leaves
on each major leaf. Sorry can't put my hand on my Hort. dictionary to use
more correct terms.

I saw pictures of some well established "Trees" growing in Northern India
with snow covered mountains in the distance.
They can be grown from stem cuttings as well as from seed and ordinary
cuttings.

The one I have growing was from a stem cutting but the other cuttings I have
in potting mix in polystyrene boxes have done nothing so far.

They seem to need a hot summer to initiate flower bud , buy don't flower
till the day length is falling, here and in the US of A it is normal for
them to be in flower in November weather permitting.

Ah. I might have a chance of some flowers if heat is a requirement.

This year because of the very poor summer I have no flower buds formed on
any of my 13 Imperialis, where as D. Tenuicaulis has formed buds.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...caulisbuds.jpg
With both the flower buds form at the end of the shoots.
When planting out you will need a tall, strong stake especially if you are
in an area prone to wind.

I'm planting this one on the protected side of a windbreak that also has a
6ft high fence made of shade cloth, so that wind can filter through that if
it gets thorogh the wind break, but I shall certainly give this one a stout
stake in accordance with yoru advice.

I would rate them as very tender perennial, if frost free they will grow
on from year to year making a larger trunk and a "Tree", where there is
frost they will take the occasional light frost but will get cut back to
ground level by hard frost.
If the tuber is planted 6 or more inches below the surface, and you cover
with straw or similar in winter the tuber should survive outside, provided
it has good drainage.

Excellent. Thank you. Drainage is good and I will certainly plant at that
level. Do you fertilise yours regularly or give them any special treatment
during the growing season?

Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/11/2012 05:07, Farm1 wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

If you had it from a stem cutting, why not ask the person who gave it to
you what they do.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 08/11/2012 05:07, Farm1 wrote:

(snip) Do you fertilise yours regularly or give them any special treatment
during the growing season?

If you had it from a stem cutting, why not ask the person who gave it to
you what they do.

I would if I saw them with any degree of regularity of had contact with
them. I thought that given the numbers you grow you might be classed as an
expert. Thanks anyway.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2012 06:10, Farm1 wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
On 08/11/2012 05:07, Farm1 wrote:

(snip) Do you fertilise yours regularly or give them any special treatment
during the growing season?

If you had it from a stem cutting, why not ask the person who gave it to
you what they do.

I would if I saw them with any degree of regularity of had contact with
them. I thought that given the numbers you grow you might be classed as an
expert. Thanks anyway.

My reason for saying ask the people you got them from is the difference
in our weather.
We get around 80 inches of rain a year and don't get the heat you do, we
range from around -3c to a high of no more than 30c this summer I doubt
we reached over 25 c.
It's hard to advise anyone when you have a different climate they don't
know the variety of Dahlia (different varieties have different
requirements).
I offered advice to you if it's not good enough for you well I can do
nothing about that.
You could try posting your query on .
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay where heavy rain is yet again imminent

Old 12-11-2012, 04:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

David the advice you had given was good enough for me. That is why I asked
if you fertilised or gave them any special treatment and why I thanked you.