Old 04-11-2007, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Hybrid tree dahlias

The tree dahlias are still growing strong , this picture was taken a
couple of weeks ago.http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/?
action=view&current=treedahlia3.jpg
the tallest is now over 9ft tall.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 4, 2:12 pm, Dave Hill wrote:
The tree dahlias are still growing strong , this picture was taken a
couple of weeks ago.http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/?
action=view&current=treedahlia3.jpg
the tallest is now over 9ft tall.

Bloomin' 'eck Dave, is it the same as ordinary dahlias, will it come
back next year if you cover it?

Judith

Old 04-11-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/11/07 14:12, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

The tree dahlias are still growing strong , this picture was taken a
couple of weeks ago.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/?
action=view&current=treedahlia3.jpg
the tallest is now over 9ft tall.

What do you use to stake yours, David? Our (your) D. excelsa did the same
this year but although Ray had used some very stout stakes - not canes - and
string, the wind and their own weight took them over. We have a photo I'll
try attaching here, that shows a garden chair, which gives some idea of
height. It's a wonderful plant.

http://i7.tinypic.com/34pb7g7.jpg

The D. imperialis has grown like mad in the garden but no sign of a flower
this year, or not yet. We reckon frost will get it before there's a flower
on it but we can still hope! Here's a pic of it last year with friend. ;-)
http://i6.tinypic.com/6asvy49.jpg

How's it done for you this year? We think that horrible June must have held
it back terribly.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-11-2007, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 4, 4:10 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/11/07 14:12, in article
m, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
[...]

I recognise that "friend" Sacha, he looks very huggable :-)

Judith

Old 04-11-2007, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/11/07 18:15, in article
, "judith.lea"
wrote:

snip

The D. imperialis has grown like mad in the garden but no sign of a flower
this year, or not yet. We reckon frost will get it before there's a flower
on it but we can still hope! Here's a pic of it last year with friend.
;-)
http://i6.tinypic.com/6asvy49.jpg

How's it done for you this year? We think that horrible June must have held
it back terribly.
--

I recognise that "friend" Sacha, he looks very huggable :-)

Judith

As my stepfather used to say "He'll go with a push in a crowd". ;-)) A
'huggable horticulturalist' - I like that!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 4 Nov, 18:25, Sacha wrote:
On 4/11/07 18:15, in article
. com, "judith.lea"

wrote:

snip

The D. imperialis has grown like mad in the garden but no sign of a flower
this year, or not yet. We reckon frost will get it before there's a flower
on it but we can still hope! Here's a pic of it last year with friend.
;-)http://i6.tinypic.com/6asvy49.jpg

How's it done for you this year? We think that horrible June must have held
it back terribly.
--

I recognise that "friend" Sacha, he looks very huggable :-)

Judith

As my stepfather used to say "He'll go with a push in a crowd". ;-)) A
'huggable horticulturalist' - I like that!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

I have used 9ft stakes with cord between them, then 8ft canes tied on
to it and cord around the plants every couple of feet.
They are flowering like mad now.
I am getting a range of flowers shapes now and some colour variation.
I will post some pics in the near future.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 05-11-2007, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/11/07 09:59, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 4 Nov, 18:25, Sacha wrote:
On 4/11/07 18:15, in article
. com, "judith.lea"

wrote:

snip

[...]

I think our stakes were probably only 6' but will tell Ray your methods.
The one in the pic I posted was looking untidy because it had been hit by
wind whirling up that path and Ray had tried to restore it to its earlier
glory. It's still flowering well and in summer, it has a Thalictrum
'Hewitt's Double' near it. Together the two leave people just bowled over!
It really is a marvellous Dahlia and while Ray takes cuttings, we leave it
in the ground and put a heavy mulch on it. So far, so good. That one has
the protection of the house wall, of course but the other one, down the
Hydrangea Walk by the church doesn't, although it's backed by a high yew
hedge. It's more exposed there so will probably need a bit of cover with
some fleece but that's still flowering wonderfully.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 5 Nov, 10:26, Sacha wrote:
On 5/11/07 09:59, in article
om, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
On 4 Nov, 18:25, Sacha wrote:
On 4/11/07 18:15, in article
. com, "judith.lea"

wrote:

snip

[...]

A selection of the flowers on the hybrid tree dahlias

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/Tree
%20dahlias%202007/?action=view&current=Treedahlia1.jpg

David Hill

Old 05-11-2007, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/11/07 12:58, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/Tree
%20dahlias%202007/?action=view&current=Treedahlia1.jpg

These are *gorgeous* David! Some of them make my mouth water, in fact most
of them do. Had you thought of finding out whether it would be a good idea
to get PBR on them. If you want the name of an agent who'll give you an
opinion, just send me an email.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
judith.lea writes

It's a wonderful plant.

http://i7.tinypic.com/34pb7g7.jpg

I got that dahlia Sacha, I didn't get it as a Tree dahlia though! It
just grew that tall this year when I left it in the ground. The flowers
are mostly single but you can see them from a long way away!
Getting difficult to support.
A very attractive scented one that David also sent, sort of single with
few petals, orange and red. Sounds terrible but the plant is quite
different from most Dahlias. Will try to get a picture as my dahlias are
still flowering at the moment.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 07-11-2007, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 7, 1:05 pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article .com,
judith.lea writes

It's a wonderful plant.

http://i7.tinypic.com/34pb7g7.jpg

I got that dahlia Sacha, I didn't get it as a Tree dahlia though! It
just grew that tall this year when I left it in the ground. The flowers
are mostly single but you can see them from a long way away!
Getting difficult to support.
A very attractive scented one that David also sent, sort of single with
few petals, orange and red. Sounds terrible but the plant is quite
different from most Dahlias. Will try to get a picture as my dahlias are
still flowering at the moment.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Aah Janet, thank you, you have answered my question - it can be left
in the ground then.

Judith

Old 07-11-2007, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/11/07 13:05, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article .com,
judith.lea writes

It's a wonderful plant.

http://i7.tinypic.com/34pb7g7.jpg

I got that dahlia Sacha, I didn't get it as a Tree dahlia though! It
just grew that tall this year when I left it in the ground. The flowers
are mostly single but you can see them from a long way away!

Did you get it from David because ours came from him. The flowers are
definitely all double.

Getting difficult to support.
A very attractive scented one that David also sent, sort of single with
few petals, orange and red. Sounds terrible but the plant is quite
different from most Dahlias. Will try to get a picture as my dahlias are
still flowering at the moment.

Yes, please. Is that Moonshine or something of that sort?

Old 08-11-2007, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com, Dave
Hill writes

A selection of the flowers on the hybrid tree dahlias

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/Tree
%20dahlias%202007/?action=view&current=Treedahlia1.jpg

David Hill

I love the flower on rosetree02 David, how pretty. Mine are more like
Tree 03a or tree13.
The Turkish sunshine you sent has wonderful dark leaves and contrasts
very well with the citrus yellow flower. In shape it is not unlike the
tree dahlia 12 with slightly recurved petals and flowering like mad at
the moment.I'll put up a photograph!

Janet
Old 08-11-2007, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
judith.lea writes

Aah Janet, thank you, you have answered my question - it can be left
in the ground then.

Judith

More of mine die if I lift them than if I just ignore them! The only one
I lose in the ground is the huge fimbriated Japanese named one.

Janet
Old 08-11-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

I got that dahlia Sacha, I didn't get it as a Tree dahlia though! It
just grew that tall this year when I left it in the ground. The flowers
are mostly single but you can see them from a long way away!

Did you get it from David because ours came from him. The flowers are
definitely all double.

Yes but he never said it was a 'tree' type

Getting difficult to support.
A very attractive scented one that David also sent, sort of single with
few petals, orange and red. Sounds terrible but the plant is quite
different from most Dahlias. Will try to get a picture as my dahlias are
still flowering at the moment.

Yes, please. Is that Moonshine or something of that sort?

No, all David's are "Abacus Joe", or "Enid" or "Phyllis" or similar
names. Enid snuffed it about a week after I received the cutting (sorry
David, I did try!) and two others ground to a halt, but the rest are now
just starting to flower, I think they are late and smaller because they
have so many shoots from the tubers! Next year I will thin them out I
think.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Tree dahlias etc David Hill United Kingdom 18 12-11-2012 09:58 AM
Tree dahlias and frost Dave Hill United Kingdom 4 15-11-2007 10:43 PM
Hybrid tree dahlias Dave Hill United Kingdom 0 16-09-2007 07:07 PM
hybrid water lillies jammer Ponds 1 16-02-2003 05:03 AM
Mail order Hybrid-T's. Scopata Fuori Roses 0 03-02-2003 11:16 PM