Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mistletoe

On 03/12/2012 21:08, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
On 01/12/2012 23:04, Christina Websell wrote:
. uk wrote in message

Bob Hobden;973806 Wrote:
Seems to be a significant increase in the stuff around here over the
last
decade. Used to be quite rare but now it's everywhere you look on all
sorts
of trees. Even on small Rowans in the central reservation of a local
road.
What's the experience of others?
In general I think it is more common in moister parts of the country, so
it may just be responding to recent weather conditions. Also, my
experience, related below, is that they are slow growing.

About 10 years ago, I spread mistletoe seeds I collected onto nicks on
various trees in my garden, and it germinated on about 3, and survived
on 1, being a crab apple. I subsequently learned I woudl have helped by
giving it some bird poo, as they are normally excreted by birds onto
trees. It has taken quite a long time for it to grow very much. Also
the leaves frequently get eaten by something or other. It has just
produced its first berries, 4 of them. But it still isn't big enough to
harvest, not like the big balls of mistletoe you see in some trees.

But how can I get some english mistletoe berries to put on my old apple
trees?

Wouldn't they sell local mistletoe at the Leicester Christmas Market?

We don't have a special Christmas Market. We have a market most days all
year.

I'd be astonished if they didn't sell mistletoe just before Christmas,
but I expect it goes quickly.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
Wouldn't they sell local mistletoe at the Leicester Christmas Market?
You don't want Christmas mistletoe. You want to pick some in March when the seeds will be ripe enough to grow.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:32:45 +0000, echinosum wrote:

Wouldn't they sell local mistletoe at the Leicester Christmas
Market?

You don't want Christmas mistletoe. You want to pick some in March
when the seeds will be ripe enough to grow.

I'd be sort of surprised if market stall Mistletoe was UK but if Tesco
are selling "English Mistletoe" presumably it is grown commercially
somewhere.

EYWTKAMBWTATA:

http://mistletoe.org.uk/

Growing, habits etc:

http://mistletoe.org.uk/homewp/

--
Cheers
Dave.

How to kill Mistletoe in oak trees? [email protected] Gardening 3 05-09-2003 02:02 AM
How to kill Mistletoe in Maple trees? Phisherman Gardening 5 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
mistletoe mistletoe Plant Science 11 05-05-2003 06:32 PM
Mistletoe Sean Houtman Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:29 PM
Mistletoe for swap Carol Russell United Kingdom 0 01-01-2003 09:40 PM