Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default treating peach curl

Last year the peach etc. in pots on my patio were devastated by peach
curl. I removed all the affected leaves and sprayed them in the autumn
with copper fungicide.

I see the RHS recommend keeping emerging shoots dry using plastic
sheeting. I'm going to try this but is it worth also using the copper
fungicide again? If so, when?

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"usenet2012" wrote in message

Last year the peach etc. in pots on my patio were devastated by peach
curl. I removed all the affected leaves and sprayed them in the autumn
with copper fungicide.

I see the RHS recommend keeping emerging shoots dry using plastic
sheeting. I'm going to try this but is it worth also using the copper
fungicide again? If so, when?

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.

I've no idea of treating the problem, but I believe I've heard of
underplanting the tree with garlic .

Can't say if there is any truth in ths!

Bill

Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:
"usenet2012" wrote in message

Last year the peach etc. in pots on my patio were devastated by peach
curl. I removed all the affected leaves and sprayed them in the autumn
with copper fungicide.

I see the RHS recommend keeping emerging shoots dry using plastic
sheeting. I'm going to try this but is it worth also using the copper
fungicide again? If so, when?

I've no idea of treating the problem, but I believe I've heard of
underplanting the tree with garlic .

Well, it might help against peach vampires :-)

My peach is c. 15' high, so that ain't gonna work - however, it IS
a variety that should have some natural resistance. Famous last
words :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/02/2013 21:00, Bill Grey wrote:
"usenet2012" wrote in message

Last year the peach etc. in pots on my patio were devastated by peach
curl. I removed all the affected leaves and sprayed them in the autumn
with copper fungicide.

I see the RHS recommend keeping emerging shoots dry using plastic
sheeting. I'm going to try this but is it worth also using the copper
fungicide again? If so, when?

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.

I've no idea of treating the problem, but I believe I've heard of
underplanting the tree with garlic .

Can't say if there is any truth in ths!

Bill

You could try a garlic spray

Ingredients:
Yield:
1.1 litre

3 or 4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 litre water
1 teaspoon liquid washing up liquid
Directions:
1 Combine the garlic and vegetable oil and leave to soak overnight.
2 Strain and add to the water along with the washing up liquid.
3 Spray regularly.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 08:25:31 +0000, usenet2012 wrote:

Last year the peach etc. in pots on my patio were devastated by peach
curl. I removed all the affected leaves and sprayed them in the autumn
with copper fungicide.

I see the RHS recommend keeping emerging shoots dry using plastic
sheeting. I'm going to try this but is it worth also using the copper
fungicide again? If so, when?

I would use the copper when the buds are swollen but not burst.

I use a proprietary chemical from Bayer for peach leaf curl. I'm not
sure it's available in the UK though, I get it in Normandy. Treatment is
before bud burst as I've described, and again after the fruit has set
IIRC.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 08:25:31 +0000, usenet2012
wrote:

Last year the peach etc. in pots on my patio were devastated by peach
curl. I removed all the affected leaves and sprayed them in the autumn
with copper fungicide.

I see the RHS recommend keeping emerging shoots dry using plastic
sheeting. I'm going to try this but is it worth also using the copper
fungicide again? If so, when?

I've a peach or nectarine growing in with my magnolia stellata. I
think I must have put in a stone when the magnolia was still in a pot.
It's been in the ground over 10 years.
The peach, or whatever it is comes up each year but often gets
peach-leaf-curl. I usually cut off all the offending leaves and last
year had to cut back a lot of it to stop it swamping its bedfellow.
Last year it did flower well, so this year I may leave it to see if it
gets any fruit, and hopen the leaves don't get too much curl.

Pam in Bristol

Too late to treat peach leaf curl? Dan_Musicant Gardening 1 03-05-2006 12:50 AM
Plum/Peach aphid leaf curl Tiger303 United Kingdom 9 18-05-2005 10:18 PM
Peach leaf curl grinder Gardening 4 12-04-2005 11:51 PM
Peach leaf curl [email protected] United Kingdom 36 10-06-2004 05:05 PM
peach leaf curl H United Kingdom 1 10-06-2003 05:20 PM